Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. Anyone know if the stock lockers and t case ect can handle up to 6th gear 4 low ? For say heavy snow conditions ect. And or. Is it hard on the lockers to stay locked up for a long time on a hard trail?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I didn't think you were suppose to go much over 10 mph in 4LO but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I believe 18mph is the max.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Do not exceed 25 mph.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'll see your 25 and bump you 5 more. I'm just kidding. I wonder what's the point of going fast in 4 low.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Be careful as you can't steer as well with the lockers engaged (especially the front)

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I'll see your 25 and bump you 5 more. I'm just kidding. I wonder what's the point of going fast in 4 low.
Wait......are we playing WF poker? LOL

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yella said:
Some times my jeep will be locked in 4 low for hours at a time. If we are someplace that the trails are close to each other I just leave it in on the way to the next one. In 6'th low my low geared jeep will go about 20mph. Not sure how fast a jeep that is not geared so low would go, but I wouldn't have a problem running that fast as long as the road/trail allow it.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Yella said:
I've been 25 in 4 low. I was on a bunch of trails that ran along/off of a logging road. The road was fine to do 25 but the trails were for slow travel. I didn't want to keep shifting in and out of 4low but it'll go 25 no problem. That's 6th gear at 2000-2500 rpm tho so it's probably not meant to drive long at that speed. I'd just go less than a quarter mile at a time

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Jared66 said:
Question. Anyone know if the stock lockers and t case ect can handle up to 6th gear 4 low ? For say heavy snow conditions ect. And or. Is it hard on the lockers to stay locked up for a long time on a hard trail?
Why dont you do the mod that makes it so you can run lockers in 4hi. I think superchips have a program as part of their tuner that makes it work. Or you could try and find a wire mod.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My experience---- if ya can go that fast--- ya don't need the lockers!!:thumb: So why not just push the button and not worry!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Even if you can technically go faster, you really have no business over 10mph in 4 low.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
GeckoJK said:
Even if you can technically go faster, you really have no business over 10mph in 4 low.
So you are saying it is better to shift from 4 low back to 2 high 20 or 30 times a day instead of just staying in 4 low for a half a mile or so. I have to disagree with you on this one.

·
Registered
523 Posts
CMA_Rider said:
Rubicon jk's do
Ok that's what I thought u guys meant and id rather shit 1000 times a day over breaking or putting way to much unneeded stress on axles motor and all the other things. In my yj when im in 4low you can tell just from trying to crawl in 4low it doesn't wanna go far or in 6th gear pr whatever let alone above 20...like someone said if you going more then 20 or whatever then you don't need to be in 4low

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The lockers will open up at 10mph so there's no worries there.

You can get all the way up to 6th gear in low range, no problem with that. Granted, you'll hit redline in 6th at a little over 45 miles per hour (less if you have 4.10s instead of 3.73s)

If you're going a fair distance and you keep it at a reasonable speed there's no reason you couldn't run in low range for extended periods.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts