Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum but I can't find this already covered elsewhere.

On two separate occasions in the last week I've had 4 low slip back into neutral going up hills. I've also noticed that over the last 6 weeks it's been much easier to get it into and out of 4 low than it used to be. I do not know if these two are related.

Should I be concerned? What should I be checking?

It's a 1995 YJ Safari with an auto and 4.0 I6.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Maybe time to adjust the linkage. Search for a thread on it. Takes 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'd adjust the linkage first, make sure it's not sloppy.
Whoops, what he said ⬆

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have a body lift? I had to fix this problem for my cousin, someone else had installed the body lift (2") and did not use the extension for the shifters. It would feel as though it went in but it was in fact not, I made him a couple on the lathe at work hasn't done it since. If that is not the issue, like the other guys said just a linkage adjustment. Also, does it grind or make noise when you shift into 4 low? If so Neither of those are your problem, something is binding and not leting you in. Start at the hubs work your way back to the Tcase in this scenario.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to leave everyone hanging. Work got in the way there for a bit.

I dropped the skid plate and adjusted the linkage and 4 low feels so much more secure now. I'm hitting a trail tomorrow to put it through some testing. Also while I had the plate down I went ahead and swapped the fluid in the transfer case. Can't wait to see how it works.

The only thing that concerns me is that 2 and 4 hi are really close together now. I'll have to keep an eye on that...

Oh, and to answer other questions; it's not lifted and there isn't a problem with grinding. It was going in fine, but coming back out when it was under load.

I'll have an update tomorrow night. Hopefully it'll be good news.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trail report; not a single problem with 4 low popping out! Thanks to everyone for all the advice; adjusting the linkage seems to have done the trick!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts