Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the jeep world. Had a question on 4 low. Can I get into like 5th gear? Or will that over heat the transfer case or diff or something? What speed would I be going with 3.73 gears and 32s?

·
Registered
589 Posts
New to the jeep world. Had a question on 4 low. Can I get into like 5th gear? Or will that over heat the transfer case or diff or something? What speed would I be going with 3.73 gears and 32s?
IIRC, most people say if you are in third gear or higher, you don't need to be in 4-lo and should be in 4-hi.

NC

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The bull transfer gear in the 4L setting will be whirring around much faster resulting in more heat & considerable increase in various wear & tear factors for the tranny. You'll notice more noises & perhaps wonder why 4H isn't more appropriate past a certain point. With a little practice you'll be able to decide which gear really does work better for the conditions and shift accordingly.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
You definitely don't want to be in 5th gear in 4L. It is designed for low speed and try to use it when you really need it. It will make you a better off road driver. However, there are situations where you want to engage it in advance because it is obvious you may will need it such as a steep climb, rock garden or mud pit.

If the driveline sounds and feels forced to move any faster then you are going too fast for 4L. Think of driving in 1st gear at 60 MPH with a V8.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
According to our owners manuals, 25MPH is top speed in 4L. There is absolutely no mention in the manual about duration of use in 4L, nor any mention of limiting anything about 4L operation other than the maximum speed of operation (other than not on dry pavement) .

I ran like that with my '87 YJ, then my TJ for 16 years, and have done the same now with my JK since it was new, and I run in 4L 5th or 6th when conditions permit higher speeds. I see no need to shift the transfer case in and out of 4L just because I encounter a trail stretch where I can utilize the top transmission gears, and frankly the transfer case linkage is one of the weakest links on our JKs, why shift it needlessly?

·
Registered
687 Posts
According to our owners manuals, 25MPH is top speed in 4L. There is absolutely no mention in the manual about duration of use in 4L, nor any mention of limiting anything about 4L operation other than the maximum speed of operation (other than not on dry pavement) .

I ran like that with my '87 YJ, then my TJ for 16 years, and have done the same now with my JK since it was new, and I run in 4L 5th or 6th when conditions permit higher speeds. I see no need to shift the transfer case in and out of 4L just because I encounter a trail stretch where I can utilize the top transmission gears, and frankly the transfer case linkage is one of the weakest links on our JKs, why shift it needlessly?
How fast are you going in 6th gear in 4L?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts