Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due for my first oil change/tire rotation and asked the dealership about doing a 5 tire rotation. The manager there stated it was customer preference, but he said only a handful of his customers did this, most just did 4.

Looking to understand from the forum what is consensus on this? Are there more 4 or 5 camps out there?

Reasons I see for 4: Cheaper to buy new tires when they wear out?
Reasons I see for 5: Longer overall tire life before having to get new set?

Opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
IF you Know you are sticking with the same Exact tire - You could go either way 4 or 5.

IF there is the remotest possibility you will get a different set of tires in the future - Do a 5 tire rotation.

(Recommendation: Do Five(5)) AND IF it is someone else doing it, Hand them the diagram and say "This is How I want it done". That way it's the same rotation and nobody mucks it up with their own method thus F'ing up the whole purpose.

·
Registered
389 Posts
IF you Know you are sticking with the same Exact tire - You could go either way 4 or 5.

IF there is the remotest possibility you will get a different set of tires in the future - Do a 5 tire rotation.

(Recommendation: Do Five(5)) AND IF it is someone else doing it, Hand them the diagram and say "This is How I want it done". That way it's the same rotation and nobody mucks it up with their own method thus F'ing up the whole purpose.
I couldn't agree more. A very very wise man (who I later thought died) once gave me the exact same advice. :drinks:

·
Premium Member
7,198 Posts
I do a 5-tire rotation every 5,000 miles. They have slightly over 44,000 miles now and look like they could go another 44,000 before they need to be replaced. Dueler A/T factory original tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,729 Posts
One of the advantages of the 5 tire rotation is you can do it at home. Even if you do not have a tool set, you can do it as the Jeep came with the required tools. That is probably why the dealer said most of their customers do the 4 tire rotation; most of the people doing the 5 tire rotation are doing it themselves. Since your set of tires will wear out faster doing the 4 tire rotation that would be another reason why the dealer likes the 4 tire rotation.
As mentioned, unless you know you will be getting another set of the exact same tires, and you go through tires fast enough that your spare won't be past its "use by" date when it happens. A spare isn't much good if it is dry rotting.

·
Premium Member
9,913 Posts
isn't this a pay me now or pay me later proposition?

5 is easier.. just use a service jack
4 is harder, you need a service jack and jack stands

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
isn't this a pay me now or pay me later proposition?

5 is easier.. just use a service jack
4 is harder, you need a service jack and jack stands

I always do mine at oil change.
I use three(3) floor jacks (two up front and one under the rear pumpkin)
I loosen all the lugs (slightly) then...
Jack er' up even so the oil drains nicely.
I start that draining and then while it is draining, I remove ALL Five(5) wheels and leave them in position.
I then take one at a time and "Clean" the inside of the wheel/inspect the tire and have a look at the brakes, lines etc.
Clean wheel moves to it's New home for the next few months.
Wash/Rinse/Repeat

Once all wheels are done and back on (Not yet torqued)

I finish up the oil.

Lower her until wheels are not able to trun and torque them.

Drop her and have a Beer.

:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it's personal preference. Tires have a shelf life of about +/- 5yrs because rubber will start breaking down even if you don't use it, especially if it's exposed to the elements. You can extend it on the spare tire with a cover if all it's going to be is a spare, but I wouldn't make it a main tire after 5 years of age. Just the $.02 of someone who worked in a tire shop for a while.

·
Registered
266 Posts
How many miles you recommend btwn rotations? 3-5000 I'm at about 7000 without rotating?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
How many miles you recommend btwn rotations? 3-5000 I'm at about 7000 without rotating?

To me, a softer compound (mud tires) should probably get the 5k mi rotate and the harder compound (All-terrain) you could get away with 7-10k mi between rotations.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts

5k is a nice round number for rotating AT and MT's. More absurd the tread pattern the more frequently I personally rotate. But 5k is a great spot for most Jeep tires IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,913 Posts
I always do mine at oil change.
I use three(3) floor jacks (two up front and one under the rear pumpkin)
I loosen all the lugs (slightly) then...
Jack er' up even so the oil drains nicely.
I start that draining and then while it is draining, I remove ALL Five(5) wheels and leave them in position.
I then take one at a time and "Clean" the inside of the wheel/inspect the tire and have a look at the brakes, lines etc.
Clean wheel moves to it's New home for the next few months.
Wash/Rinse/Repeat

Once all wheels are done and back on (Not yet torqued)

I finish up the oil.

Lower her until wheels are not able to trun and torque them.

Drop her and have a Beer.

:)
^^^ that's the right way to do it - clean the back of the wheels.

I was thinking more on the lines of quick and easy using 5 tire rotation.

just pull the spare off and use a service jack to lift the rear tire off the ground 2"... remove, replace, drop rear tire and move the tire to the next location and repeat.. like those NASCAR pit stops.

That way you never need to crawl under the Jeep ...

Yes, I know safety first - but that was my old service station way of removing a flat tire, then break the tubeless tire off the rim and seal the leak from the inside... then inflate, balance and reinstall.

We always had three lifts full and someone would come in with a flat that needed to be fixed...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was too cheap to replace the brand new tires when I purchased the Jeep. I could not wait for them to wear out. So I never rotated them. To my surprise, all 4 wore almost exactly the same amount.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts