Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of trying to figure out how to add on to the 2 1/2" that came with my jeep (to fit 33's). I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a 4" lift. What's the best one on the market right now for the $? Keep in mind that I don't want to have to buy any "extras". Your advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The only way you are gonna be able to fit 33's and do it right without spending some $$ on "extra's" such as an SYE, CV conversoin, adjustable control arms and such is do a simple 100 dollar body lift and motor mount lift. Very simple and straightforward and will give you plenty of clearance for 33's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't most of the lift kits come with the extras? What I want to stay away from are those kits that leave out two or three items so that they can advertise a lower price. I already know I'm going to spend about $800-1200, I just don't have the time or energy to special order additional parts.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Yeah you can get the kits with everything but you have to make sure that you are getting what you need. I will give you the same advice that I have already given 2 people on here today. Call dirk at DPG offroad and he can get you set up right!!
I have never heard a negative comment about their customer service, or product support. Everyone has had nothing but praise!!

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Do NOT do a body lift of more than an inch or two TOPS. No more than an inch preferably. It's a bad idea. You will run into a LOT of issues. To do a body lift and fit 33's you will have to go with a 3" BL at the very least. That spells trouble.

DPG is a great company. They will surely give you good advice.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
just do a 1" BL. it will clear 33's and its not a bad setup. its cheap and there is nothing wrong with it....plus your gonna have to deal with a bunch of other stuff once you step up to a 4" suspension lift.

·
Registered
164 Posts
what´s so bad about a bodylift. installing my 2" BL only took 3 hours.
Two things. Sometimes linkage must be extended.

The most important is safety. The further you push the body away from the frame the greater the torsional load on the bolts. Over one inch you get into a dangerous area of having the tub break away from the frame in a serious accident or roll over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can do a JKS 1.25 BL..IMO more than that looks bad. I have OME springs..which get me about 2.5-3" of lift and a JKS 1.25 BL and I run 35s. Also take into consideration that with proper bumpstops you would be surprised how tall a tire you can run w/a short lift. Contact Dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com he is a stand up guy and will work with you even if you dont buy from him.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Two things. Sometimes linkage must be extended.

The most important is safety. The further you push the body away from the frame the greater the torsional load on the bolts. Over one inch you get into a dangerous area of having the tub break away from the frame in a serious accident or roll over.
i also had to extend the fuel filler hose and some other things.

here in germany the government tests all car parts before they allow them.
they made crash tests with 2" and 3" BLs and nothing happened.
the PA BL kit is the only allowed here in germany.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
My last TJ I did 2" coils with a 1" BL and ran 33's easy. I didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are outstanding.. Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the 1" BL and other necessary mods. I'm most definitely going to give this guy Dirk a call though. If three different jeepers from three different states recommend this guy he's gotta be top notch. One last question... have you guys heard any positive feedback about the Toyo Open Country tires (I like their look but I don't want a crappy tire) or should I just stick with MTR's?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i've heard only good things about the toyo tires. ask mr. clifford. he runs the mt's and loves them and i've heard only good about the toyo mt's. i would probably try those over mtr's if they had the size i wanted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts