Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a rcd4" lift for my tj and want to build a good mud jeep. I really want to shove huge tires under the 4" i really want to put some some 36" superswampers under there. My guess is i will just need the right bumpstops but will it be bumpstopped enough thats its not worth it because of not enough flex? I also have bushwaker pocket flairs and 2" wheels spacers.

image-1643154752.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get metal cloak fenders and take off the flares. That will give you a lot more room for tires. Some people run 35" tires with no lift. Also, make sure your jeep is ready for 36" tires with capable axels and what not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got the bushwakers so not really in budget for metalcloak but im just tryna throw big tires on. I know that 35s are a little sketchy on 35 rear but a 36 is close enough but screw it if i brake it ill fix it. Just tryna figure out the clearince issue

·
Registered
299 Posts
Your Dana 35 will not last with 36's. How are you going to stop the jeep with that size tire? What gears do you have, and what transmission do you have? If you have 3.07 gears you will hate driving the jeep. Just something to think about, before you spend all that money.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It eont last even if it doesnt get wheeled more then 1 every 3months? Its also more of a dd. i just want the biggest tire that puts me on the edge of whats pissible. I would plan on regearing with 4:88 ir whatevers best. But my main question is rubbing with 36s. So i would have a 6cyl jeep tj with a rcd 4"sa with a regeared 35 and 30 on 36s. I guess my question is will i break the 35 while street driving and will i rub? I would go 35s but i really want the superswampers.

305 Posts
It eont last even if it doesnt get wheeled more then 1 every 3months? Its also more of a dd. i just want the biggest tire that puts me on the edge of whats pissible. I would plan on regearing with 4:88 ir whatevers best. But my main question is rubbing with 36s. So i would have a 6cyl jeep tj with a rcd 4"sa with a regeared 35 and 30 on 36s. I guess my question is will i break the 35 while street driving and will i rub? I would go 35s but i really want the superswampers.
Nope. Melissa is right. Mine blew on me just driving on a normal road with 33's. Also- with a 4" lift I doubt you'll rub if you run some 36's. I'm currently running a 5" total lift- and when I had my normal fenders- I had more than enough room for 36's. If you want what's ideal, get Dana 44's and those 36's will be just fine. Hell- you can even put 36's on the Dana 30, you just need to upgrade it a bit, but that Dana 35 is crap.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
36" tires and you want good mud performance? You are looking at new axles front and rear, new steering, axle regear, LSD's if not lockers, high clearance flat fenders if you want to run the 4" lift, better brakes, and at that point you will probably want high quality control arms with JJ or metal cloak joints too.

Personally I would do a Currie 4" lift with 1" body and motor mount lift, 35" tires, 27 spline chromoly shafts in the Dana 30 and at least a Dana 44 in the rear. If you want to run rocks as well I would do lockers front and rear if you can. You will need to regear, what ratio depends on your transmission. Currie steering and black magic brakes. Probably high clearance fenders too. That list would be around $7,000 in parts alone + tires and wheels

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks lookin bad for 36" tires. But idk if u saw i do have a rcd 4" lift already. And i have looked up and am pretty sure i can run 33s and no rubbing with 4" but i will do gears also i guess when money comes i can do 33" swampers and be ok with the 35. Im not talking about crazy good mud build but something alot better them 31s with wrangler street terrains lol.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Ok thanks lookin bad for 36" tires. But idk if u saw i do have a rcd 4" lift already. And i have looked up and am pretty sure i can run 33s and no rubbing with 4" but i will do gears also i guess when money comes i can do 33" swampers and be ok with the 35. Im not talking about crazy good mud build but something alot better them 31s with wrangler street terrains lol.
33's are fine on a 4" lift, that's a whole different story :thumb:

Depending on what gears you have already, you could be just fine with what you have. If you have a Dana 35 rear end, either be easy on the gas or put some 27 spline chromoly shafts in it. Broken Dana 35's suck.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you don't have money for metalcloaks.. You don't have money for 36's..

I have 6k in my setup at least. In order to run 35's correctly

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm running 33's on a 4.25" lift and I know I'm playing with fire with stock axles and gears. But for now it works for me until I get the finances in order to get gears and lockers. Preferably gears and axles first.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes thanks. I thought maybe i could just be stupid and do it. But 33s do sound good enough. I wod still like to regear with 33s i think i have the stock 3.07s now. Chromly shafts dont sound bad either just lookin for somethin thats not gonna break when i go down the road.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I say don't go the stupid route and listen to everyone's advice. They are knowIedgeable in what they are saying.Was going to slap on the SkyJacker 4" Sport lift. Everyone steered me away from them and I'm glad I listened. Now it seems like there are a handful of posts that say they regret doing a SkyJacker.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am running 35's on the Stock Dana 35 with 3.73 gears it sucks. I have only had the Tires about 2-3 weeks. I have the 8.8 under the House just getting the parts for the Front to re gear to 4.10's to match the rear. I would not run 35's long on the Stock Dana 35. And I Would not Wheel 35's with stock Dana 35 at all. I ran 33's for a while with the Stock D35, and I was always waiting on it to pop in a rough spot. I would not even consider 35's unless you have the money for other things. it gets very pricey to run let along Wheel 35's. 33's you will be good for a bit. If you have 3.07 gears you will want to regear with something lower, If you have 3.73 you will be fine for a bit. The only reason I am going 4.10's with 35's is because the Rear has them in it already, and I have a friend I can get the Dana 30 4:10's from used. Once I get it rolling on the 4.10's I am going to start building A HP Dana 30 with Prob. 4.88 Gears, and Better Axles, I hope I come across a 8.8 with 3.73 gears in the next week or so. I know the 4.10 wont be much better than the 3.73 with 35's, and 3.73 sucks even with 33's to me

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I am running 35's on the Stock Dana 35 with 3.73 gears it sucks. I have only had the Tires about 2-3 weeks. I have the 8.8 under the House just getting the parts for the Front to re gear to 4.10's to match the rear. I would not run 35's long on the Stock Dana 35. And I Would not Wheel 35's with stock Dana 35 at all. I ran 33's for a while with the Stock D35, and I was always waiting on it to pop in a rough spot. I would not even consider 35's unless you have the money for other things. it gets very pricey to run let along Wheel 35's. 33's you will be good for a bit. If you have 3.07 gears you will want to regear with something lower, If you have 3.73 you will be fine for a bit. The only reason I am going 4.10's with 35's is because the Rear has them in it already, and I have a friend I can get the Dana 30 4:10's from used. Once I get it rolling on the 4.10's I am going to start building A HP Dana 30 with Prob. 4.88 Gears, and Better Axles, I hope I come across a 8.8 with 3.73 gears in the next week or so. I know the 4.10 wont be much better than the 3.73 with 35's, and 3.73 sucks even with 33's to me
I've seen a lot of 4.88 and 3.73 ads on Craigslist here in CO as I'm looking for 4.88 and Dana 44.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah im gonna have my lift on next weekend along with my wheelspacers. When the money comes i will go with the interco swampers tsl/sx 33s. I will do chromly axles and 4:88s at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts