Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question...so 4wd shifter says 2H 4H N then 4L. Right Now it appears I'm running around with it in 2H. Should I try to find N gear and run there? What's the dif between 2H and N? I tried to shift and i can't seem to feel it shift into N.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You should be in 2H. Thats 2 wheel drive high range. If you put your transfer case in N, you ain't gonna go anywhere at all. Thats Neautral. Save 4H and 4L for off road.

2H - 2 wheel drive, high range
4H - 4 wheel drive, high range
N - Neutral
4L - 4 wheel drive, low range

·
Registered
249 Posts
No, just shift into 4H. N is for towing your Jeep.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I had to learn this with my first 4wd vehicle... I assumed "N" was for 4wd only...

nicely explained ray... now can you help me?

What is top speed I should run in 4H? I've only used 4wd off road, but we've got some snow & ice & I'd feel more comfortable using all 4 wheels...

·
Registered
249 Posts
But the N I'm taking about is on the 4WD shifter knob.
Yep, good for towing your Jeep behind a trailer so you don't have to take the driveshafts out. If you just left your transmission in neutral and towed it you can damage it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had to learn this with my first 4wd vehicle... I assumed "N" was for 4wd only...

nicely explained ray... now can you help me?

What is top speed I should run in 4H? I've only used 4wd off road, but we've got some snow & ice & I'd feel more comfortable using all 4 wheels...
You can use 4 hi on the freeway and go as fast as you want and it won't hurt anything except your gas milage. If you're in 4 hi because theres snow on the ground you probably won't be driving as fast as you would be in 2 hi anyway so have fun :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
4H is good to the same speeds as 2H. Only difference is your pulling from both the front and the rear in 4H and in 2H pulling just fromt he rear. In 4H, the road conditions are the limiting factor for speed. Now in 4L, you don't want to go to fast. I don't go past 3rd gear in 4L generaly (5 speed manual tranny)

·
Registered
924 Posts
so in the event I am ever towed... I should not only put my gear shifter in nuetral(obviously), but the 4wd, as well???

I've never been towed, but I would NOT have thought to do this...

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
so in the event I am ever towed... I should not only put my gear shifter in nuetral(obviously), but the 4wd, as well???

I've never been towed, but I would NOT have thought to do this...

Thanks for the info!
Trans in 4th, transfer in neutral

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I've always been told not to go above 55 mph in 4wd H. To be honest, if you need to be in 4WD, you shouldn't be going fast at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts