Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was offroading today ( I will put up another thread in a few with pictures) and this happened prior also a week ago. I was going to pull my boss's van out of this grass driveway and I engaged 4 hi ( I have had previous problems with t case staying in 4hi because of it popping out) and put it in reverse to pull him out and I got going and then I hurd a pop from the t case and wasent sure what it was and I just put it in 2 and didnt worry about it. Today, I had a hard time keeping it in 4 hi untill I almost got stuck then was stopped and put it in 4 low and it wouldnt stay in there either with grinding so I put it back into 4 hi and it stayed for the rest of the trip in 4 hi so is it just a matter of me putting the t case in neutral then putting it in 4hi and I know that if I put it in 4 low in need to be moving so thats probly the answer for the grinding and not staying in 4 low so I think im good with looking at the linkage but wasent sure in general what to do. But, once I got it into 4 hi today it didnt pop out and the jeep was on and off throughout the day so it was good. Just wondering if im on the right track and by the way, its all pretty much stock with 30s no driveline mods. Thanks, Joey.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I thought it would be ok especially because the crawl ratio is lower so it would be better in reverse. Am I correct on this? but ok I will try not to do that again only pull with the rear.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You don't want to put a big bind on the R & P gears in reverse. The way the teeth are cut, they tend to be weaker in reverse. I'm sure somebody will go into more detail.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
ok I thought it would be ok especially because the crawl ratio is lower so it would be better in reverse. Am I correct on this? but ok I will try not to do that again only pull with the rear.
That would depend on your tranny whether it is lower than first. The problem is that the D30 is the weaker axle and all the weight shifts to it when towing in reverse putting all the traction on the front axle. The rear (stronger axle) will lose traction. This can lead to bad things happening to the shafts, yokes, or u-joints.

As far as your TC popping out of gear, have you added a BL, MML or dropped your TC for a lift? All these things can throw your linkage out and will necessitate an adjustment of the linkage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As far as you t-case situation, I can't help with that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I will keep that in mind and be sure not to pull in reverse again. I understand that the ring and pinion is weaker because of the way the teeth are positioned. I also get and it makes sense that about the dana 30 in front being pushed and the weight going on it so thanks. I will keep that all in mind and not pull in reverse.

As far as the transfer case skid there is no drop or anything or bl it is all stock components so idk about the popping. Could it just be me not using it in a while when I should use it every month?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts