Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time yesterday I got to use my 4 wheel drive. When turning slow (less than 5mph) it feels like my front end is sliding, and its hard to control. I was using it in rainy conditions. Its a 2012. Anyone else having issues with theirs? Thoughts??

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Well in 4WD, your front wheels are pulling you in the direction you are steering.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If you get a shopping cart and go in a circle the four wheels travel at different speeds. When you lock the transfer case in your jeep you require one wheel on the front and rear axle to travel at the same speed (as the diffs are driven). The shopping cart doesn't care, they are free to travel - your jeep binds and hops as the wheels want, but cannot, travel at different speeds.

So 4wd doesn't work well in tight circles with reasonable traction.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It feels like i am going to snap a tie rod
Your's sounds like it is working fine.

I'm referring to locking the transfer case.

Only use 4wd on a slippery surface, so packed snow, mud, loose gravel, sand. Your 4wd will hate you for running in circles on anything with traction.

If you have separate selectable lockers (on the diffs) and engage them, it's hard to turn corners and your Jeep will want to push through.

Enjoy your new Jeep.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Could be an issue where you where going slow enough and the ground wasn't slick enough to allow at least one wheel to break traction.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Yeah, the 4WD in the JK is not for rainy weather. There isn't enough slippage for it, and you have the binding you describe. Running it like this can eventually damage something, so I would not do that. It's meant only for offloading or snowy/icy conditions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Why are people insisting on using 4WD in rainy conditions?
x2

If you don't stand a good chance of at least one rear wheel breaking traction in 2WD there is no need at all to be in 4WD. I have no idea what 4WD would do for you in the rain, assuming the OP is talking about being in rainy conditions on pavement.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
There could be a lot of new Jeep owners that don't fully understand the difference between 4WD and AWD...nor how it 4WD actually works.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
If you have traction in 2WD I wouldn't use 4WD just because. Even if traction was low i'd resort to slowing down for the conditions before putting it in 4WD.

·
Registered
258 Posts
rfortune said:
x2

if you don't stand a good chance of at least one rear wheel breaking traction in 2wd there is no need at all to be in 4wd. I have no idea what 4wd would do for you in the rain, assuming the op is talking about being in rainy conditions on pavement.
x3

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you use the 4wd on non-slippery surfaces, you WILL destroy your drive train. No ifs, ands, or buts. Read your owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Cuz they don't have a clue what the difference between 4WD vs AWD is!!!:nonono:
And I wanna put a 2WD low kit in my T-case so I don't have to use 4WD when I want to gear down if 4WD ain't necessary!!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
CharacterZero said:
The command-trac video does say great for heavy rain :whistling:
I you look tho the wheels are going straight. It might help you get started but its really not meant to turn. Even on snow in the winter i find you have to slide the rear end a tiny bit to make it go around a corner exactly how I want

1 - 20 of 40 Posts