Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help! While out on the last wheeling trip we had stopped to spot for someone. When I got back in and put the jeep in gear it wouldn't move. Engine would rev but no movement then after few seconds it kicked in and you could feel it grab. Drove fine until you stopped for a short period and put it in park. Jump to this weekend...I had new gears installed and was driving it home in 4 hi never above 55mph. After letting it sit for 45 minutes or so jumped in it to check 4 lo and lockers and they worked but again the same problem when putting it into gear from park. I let it set about 20 minutes, jumped back in and the check engine light came on and warning that said "Hot Oil". Any ideas???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The transmission fluid was maybe half of a quart low and I did add some.

I was told to drive it in 4 wheel drive for 15-20 miles then let it cool and repeat at least once for proper gear break in and didn't want to drive over 55.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think you have other problems, but never, never drive in 4X4 on dry pavement. Driving in ice/snow is the only time to ever shift into 4X4 on pavement. Even off-road don't use it unless the surface you are on will allow for some wheel slippage. Sand, loose dirt, mud, gravel etc., wont hurt. But even on hard packed dirt you don't need 4X4 and you could damage the drive train. While it is possible to drive at 50+ in 4X4, you simply don't need to above 20mph or so.

·
Banned
151 Posts
If customers had to pass a written test (5 multiple choice questions) before buying a Jeep, both sales and warranty claims would plummet 93%.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help so far. Funny how everyone has such different advice on how and what you can do with 4wd.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Thanks for the help so far. Funny how everyone has such different advice on how and what you can do with 4wd.
Actually if you read the manual it tells you not to drive in 4x4 on dry pavement. It's also a known fact. Anyone telling you different hasn't got a clue what they are doing with true 4x4.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
4wd on hard surfaces is bad because of binding that occurs when the front and rear travel different distances, as in parking lot turning maneuvers. Though NOT a good idea, the world will not end if you cruise around in 4WD on the street a bit.

Since the OP didn't mention any binding or damage - It would appear all these comments regarding 4WD on pavement are OFF TOPIC.

BACK ON TOPIC:

OP,

Are you 100% sure you have your T -case engaged when this slipping is occurring? It is not uncommon to inadvertently leave the T-case in between 2wd - 4hi and/or 4lo. This will basically result in a disengaged driveline. I have actually experienced T-case grind and pop out if not fully engaged.

Read your manual on proper T-case shifting (generally a slow roll and slight back off the accelerator).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4wd on hard surfaces is bad because of binding that occurs when the front and rear travel different distances, as in parking lot turning maneuvers. Though NOT a good idea, the world will not end if you cruise around in 4WD on the street a bit.

Since the OP didn't mention any binding or damage - It would appear all these comments regarding 4WD on pavement are OFF TOPIC.

BACK ON TOPIC:

OP,

Are you 100% sure you have your T -case engaged when this slipping is occurring? It is not uncommon to inadvertently leave the T-case in between 2wd - 4hi and/or 4lo. This will basically result in a disengaged driveline. I have actually experienced T-case grind and pop out if not fully engaged.

Read your manual on proper T-case shifting (generally a slow roll and slight back off the accelerator).

I will watch more carefully on the T-case popping out of gear next time and see if that's what is happening. If it is then there is still an issue since it should not be slipping out so easily, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I don't think he is engaging his transfer case fully when he shifts into 4-wheel drive.

But then again, the hot oil light is not normal, so perhaps this is a transmission problem, and not transfer case related at all.

I do find it incredible that a mechanic shop told him to drive in 4-wheel drive on dry pavement, for any distance. I don't think I would use that shop again.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I will watch more carefully on the T-case popping out of gear next time and see if that's what is happening. If it is then there is still an issue since it should not be slipping out so easily, Thanks!
It's not necessarily an issue with popping out. If your not rolling when you shift the T-case, it may just not be engaged.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
You're right. What was I thinking? 20 miles at 55MPH in 4HI on pavement X 2 is the preferred way to bed rings and pinions!
My old boss once told me it's not what you say, it's how you say it...

Btw... I can run my NP242 all day long on wet pavement. And I've done it at 55mph on a freeway. Many people don't understand the differences between a NP231, NP242 and whatever comes in a JK.

Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
Need help! While out on the last wheeling trip we had stopped to spot for someone. When I got back in and put the jeep in gear it wouldn't move. Engine would rev but no movement then after few seconds it kicked in and you could feel it grab. Drove fine until you stopped for a short period and put it in park. Jump to this weekend...I had new gears installed and was driving it home in 4 hi never above 55mph. After letting it sit for 45 minutes or so jumped in it to check 4 lo and lockers and they worked but again the same problem when putting it into gear from park. I let it set about 20 minutes, jumped back in and the check engine light came on and warning that said "Hot Oil". Any ideas???
The transmission fluid was maybe half of a quart low and I did add some.

I was told to drive it in 4 wheel drive for 15-20 miles then let it cool and repeat at least once for proper gear break in and didn't want to drive over 55.
I would pull the CEL code.. see what its referencing.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Yeah but that didn't really have anything to do with the original question.
The OP must have thought so or he wouldn't have mentioned it in the middle of his first post. I can't be expected to ascertain the relevancy of any given sentence in a paragraph written with the clarity and focus of a pinhole camera.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
From this post....my uneducated guess is that you have transmission troubles!
In your TC, when shifting from 2h to 4h, the rear driveshaft is always engaged. When shifting from 4h to 4l, you have to go thru neutral inthe TC, and if you arent going all the way thru and staying in the N position, this is the ONLY way your TC can "slip". Your TC is manual...positive engagement....I.E., if the gears are engaged, and they slip......your TC is broken, and will not engage after sitting for a few minutes, or your gears are not engaged and you have to move the TC shifter to get them to engage. Your auto tranny on the other hand, is a fluid coupling....the torque converter can "slip" when not locked up....engine can rev and not move the vehicle while the tranny selector is in gear. Hopefully this is a little clearer than mud!
As far as the shop telling you to drive in 4h to break in your gears....they are all wet, and I would use a different shop in the future. No, it isnt "good" for your JEEP to do this!

And as far as the nannies trying to tell you that you have ruined your JEEP, and it is going to auto self destruct by driving in 4h at 55 on dry pavement, it takes a LOT of miles to do any serious damage. Yes, your 4wd system will generate more heat and would EVENTUALLY wear out prematurely if you continue this practice, but for just a few miles.......dont worry about it, they arent the ones paying for it! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts