Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance, newbie here and a question. I am the proud owner of a 2012 wrangler sport, my question is going from 4wd to 2wd, do you have to reverse for 10 feet or so to unlock the front hubs, I owned other 4wd's and this was common to unlock the front axles, is it the same on the wrangler.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Nope.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
^^^ What he said.

Just use the shifter. The manual's got some tips that should make the transition smoother. If you want a hard copy Jeep will send you one for free.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is no provision to lock or unlock the hubs on your vehicle.

Go to the Jeep website and click on the Owners tab. You can download both the User guide and the Owner manual for your vehicle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I dont think any new vehicle uses locking hubs. I had a couple of old 4x4's you had to do that on, back in the day, and that was a pain in but. The worst part was getting it stuck in the mud the remembering that I didnt get out and lock the hubs before I tried to go through the mud pit.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Glad you no longer have to do that but that sure did bring back some memories!

·
Registered
207 Posts
per the jeep manual (or App for iphone): shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. Shift the transfer case lever firmly to 4H at any speed up to 50mph. (shifting between 4H and 4L can only be done at 2-3mph - you should read up on this before attempting)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Oh gawd I just had flashbacks of my teenage years living in Colorado, being too air headed to lock my hubs at the beginning of winter and sub-sequentially getting stuck on my way to work.

Where we lived it wasn't uncommon to just ride the snowmobiles to work. And I usually switched to that after the above happened. Lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
I actually know a woman who raises, buys and sells horses, and has some ginormous late '90s diesel Ford, an F350 I think. Someone convinced her to retrofit manually locking hubs to it and it cost her a stiff amount of $ to basically, as best I could tell, go backward technologically speaking. I'm not much of a mechanic, but that sounded bass ackward to me. But she swore it was a great way to go and urged me to do it to my '11 Tundra. Ummmm, no, I don't think so!!!

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
I actually know a woman who raises, buys and sells horses, and has some ginormous late '90s diesel Ford, an F350 I think. Someone convinced her to retrofit manually locking hubs to it and it cost her a stiff amount of $ to basically, as best I could tell, go backward technologically speaking. I'm not much of a mechanic, but that sounded bass ackward to me. But she swore it was a great way to go and urged me to do it to my '11 Tundra. Ummmm, no, I don't think so!!!
Its not uncommon to do so. Many jk owners with higher lifts need pinion angle over caster. This causes poor drivability. Locking hubs enable the front driveshaft to run at any angle because its not turning in 2wd.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Its also not backward in the sense that current systems aren't doing any magic, they're just running in "locked" mode all the time. 4wd is disengaged at the transfer case, but the entire front driveline is still moving.

I've read its worth a couple MPG not to be doing that all the time, but I'm not sure how true it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts