Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"long time listener, first time caller" :wavey:

I'm looking to buy a used Jeep Wrangler and first off, I just gotta say this forum has been SO HELPFUL in deciding what exactly I want! I have made a couple appointments to test drive some Jeeps this Saturday.

The reason I am posting is because the one I am most interested in has been on the lot for 40 days (2017 HyperGreen Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2-door soft-top with 37k miles, Alpine speakers, Power windows/locks, asking price $24k). There has only been one-owner and it has a clean CarFax. I am going to check it out in person and test-drive it Saturday, but do y'all have recommendations for things I should be on the lookout for/ask about?? I am wondering whether it hasn't sold because of the color (I personally LOVE HyperGreen... but know better than to express that to the salesman!) or if there might be a mechanical issue with it. The price just dropped $2k last week.

Given these details, do you think it is best that I ask to take it to an independent mechanic rather than trust the dealership service report? HyperGreen can't be THAT unpopular can it?!?!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My guess is Sport, Hyper Green, soft top only, and probably 3.21 gears.

Offer them a couple thousand less if you're really interested. 40 days is a long time in my area. They should be motivated to sell.

Edit: why does this forum always double or triple space my posts? Annoying!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd crawl under to see if there's any sign of off roading (scrapes, etc) on the skid plates, diff covers, etc etc

This. Beyond that, 2 door and soft top would keep it on the lot in my area. Late model with fairly low miles I wouldn’t pay a mechanic if it drives well. Post pictures when you buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Around here too, a used vehicle staying that long on the lot would be heading for auction.

Given that, I would offer the dealer a few grand over auction value. A win for them, and a win for you.

I am not sure if the time on the lot is really indicative of something wrong. It could be color. It could be the options, or the lack of options.

I don't think it matters if you have it professional inspected by an independent service place, or (another/different) dealer, as long as you do get it inspected. The peace of mind would make it worth it.

Edit: why does this forum always double or triple space my posts? Annoying!

Ditto. :happyyes:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Again,crawl under it and look for any damage or leaks. If it has been lifted, check the speedometer with a cell GPS. I got a great deal on my Rubicon sitting on the lot for over 30 days. I figure it was the stick shift.

Reactions: rockdoctor

·
Registered
74 Posts

Given these details, do you think it is best that I ask to take it to an independent mechanic rather than trust the dealership service report? HyperGreen can't be THAT unpopular can it?!?!
I think I've only ever seen HyperGreen once and it was a new at a dealership. Color definitely affects sales and could account for it being there longer than most. In the past I can remember Extreme Purple and Rock Lobster being on the lot longer than the more traditional colors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As an owner of a school bus yellow, red and now silver jeep I can tell you that color is hideous. :)

No problem if you plan on keeping it for a while.

How much is a similarly optioned one new? I thought I could get into a 2018 Unlimited Sport for around $32k when I was looking a few months ago. I think it is sitting around since it is probably not much less than a new one with a full warranty.

Good luck! Make sure you price a new one.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Again,crawl under it and look for any damage or leaks. If it has been lifted, check the speedometer with a cell GPS. I got a great deal on my Rubicon sitting on the lot for over 30 days. I figure it was the stick shift.
This is how I found my 10A. It sat for 30+ days as I watched the price fall. It was a stick and they take a long time to sell used since most want an auto.

Is this Jeep a manual?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
This is how I found my 10A. It sat for 30+ days as I watched the price fall. It was a stick and they take a long time to sell used since most want an auto.

Is this Jeep a manual?
Yep Wouldn't want any other way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your responses! Super helpful as always!! :worthy:

I think I've only ever seen HyperGreen once and it was a new at a dealership. Color definitely affects sales and could account for it being there longer than most. In the past I can remember Extreme Purple and Rock Lobster being on the lot longer than the more traditional colors.
I originally thought it was color keeping it on the lot, but then a nearby 2013 Rock Lobster 2-door soft-top with 70k miles that I had my eye on sold within days!! Which made me question whether something was wrong and seek advice on how to determine that once I am there!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the double post, I just saw these responses!

Is this Jeep a manual?
No it is an automatic (I meant to include that in my original post and couldn’t figure out how to edit! forum newb for sure... :facepalm: )

I can tell you that color is hideous. :)
Oh I love it soooo much :drool:

No problem if you plan on keeping it for a while.

How much is a similarly optioned one new? I thought I could get into a 2018 Unlimited Sport for around $32k when I was looking a few months ago. I think it is sitting around since it is probably not much less than a new one with a full warranty.
Yes, you are correct. I am hoping I can negotiate them down a bit, and that $10k difference from new will be a big deal for my budget - used will definitely be the way to go for me, and I feel lucky to have found a few quality 2017’s I’m interested in!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts

I'm looking to buy a used Jeep Wrangler and first off, I just gotta say this forum has been SO HELPFUL in deciding what exactly I want! I have made a couple appointments to test drive some Jeeps this Saturday.

The reason I am posting is because the one I am most interested in has been on the lot for 40 days (2017 HyperGreen Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2-door soft-top with 37k miles, Alpine speakers, Power windows/locks, asking price $24k). There has only been one-owner and it has a clean CarFax. I am going to check it out in person and test-drive it Saturday, but do y'all have recommendations for things I should be on the lookout for/ask about?? I am wondering whether it hasn't sold because of the color (I personally LOVE HyperGreen... but know better than to express that to the salesman!) or if there might be a mechanical issue with it. The price just dropped $2k last week.

As a former person in the auto industry. Most dealers start off asking full retail price and after 30 days, then lower it a little as you see to a reasonable amount. Then most dealers have a used inventory quota of 60 days and reduce it down to just over cost for what they have in it before they send it to auction.

As far as to why it has not sold, there could be several reasons, color, options, price verses brand new with full warranty for a few thousand more, bad Carfax report or accident not reported and fixed privately,

Check the underneath as others said for visible signs of off road use, check the engine compartment for leaks of fluids, check the inside for smells or signs such as smoking,

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
Battery, make sure to check the battery. I promise you it will have died a few times on the lot setting for that long.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I got my 2 door 2011 Rubicon hard top, 58k miles (stock) from a dealer where it sat on the lot for 11 months. It sat there so long I could look back on Google Street view and watch it move around the lot with different price tags in the window. The Jeep was clean as a whistle. I told the salesman I saw it sitting on the lot that long and was able to take him down 5k. Use the knowledge of it sitting there to your advantage.

FYI after I purchased it the salesman told me he thinks it sat on the lot so long because it was the highest prices vehicle in town and nobody could get financing for it. (Small town NE Ohio)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think it is a combination of a few different things. One being the green.

Another is the JL. I think many people are either buying a JL or, they are trying to hold out for another year or two to try to get a JL off lease or used. The introduction of the JL is going to drive the price of the JK's and hopefully the overpriced TJ's (probably not) down.

The last reason is that it is a two door. Lets be honest, people want 4 door vehicles today. People don't want to have to slide the seat forward so someone can hop in the back with minimal leg room.

I say if everything checks out buy it. You should be able to get a portion of the factory warranty with the purchase.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Battery, make sure to check the battery. I promise you it will have died a few times on the lot setting for that long.
That's what I was going to say.
Bring a mulitmeter and check the resting voltage of the battery before starting it. Lower than 12.5, negotiate a new battery.

Reactions: rockdoctor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I was going to say.
Bring a mulitmeter and check the resting voltage of the battery before starting it. Lower than 12.5, negotiate a new battery.
:worthy: So helpful! Thank you!!!

It sat there so long I could look back on Google Street view and watch it move around the lot with different price tags in the window.
LOL at the Google Street view stalking!! But yes, hoping the time on the lot is going to help me here!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts