Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First time poster, been lurking for a few weeks though. Bought a new 2012 JKU Sport-S a week before Thanksgiving. And of course started with easy stuff first:new floor mats, grab handles etc. Also got a Teraflex leveling kit. Just spacers to even out the rake. Called 4 wheel parts in Charlotte, NC to see how much they'd charge me to put it on and was shocked when he told me 3 hours of labor and an alignment...for a total of about $400.00! I have no doubts about the alignment and I want this done properly, but $400, really? Quadratec says it's an hour job. I don't have a lift or anything but I have a hard time believing it's this much of an install hassle. Any thoughts on where I can get this done more reasonably?
Thanks

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Shop don't go by elapsed time, everyone knows this. They go off of billable time from a chart. Quadratec is using actual installation time for someone with all the proper tools. Do it yourself and save time and money. Even if you bought the tools, (couple wrenches, floor jack, and jack stands.) you'd be ahead of the game.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Install it yourself. Very easy install. Literally took me 1.5 hours taking my time with nothing more than a few tools and a floor jack. Never even removed a tire. Just disconnected the shocks and sway links, lossen control arms and track bar, flexed each corner one at a time with the floor jack, put jack stand under frame once it was high enough, popped out spring, slid in spacer, and reverse. Once jeep is back on all fours, shake it side to side and front to back, then torque everything down to spec. Simple. Didn't need an alignment either. Just loosened the turnbuckle to straighten my steering wheel and then retightened it.

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
709 Posts
You are right, that's crazy. My dealer wanted a total of $915 (Parts and Labor) to install a Teraflex 2.5" BB. It's insane. I passed on it and am going to do it myself.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
$400 is about ballpark to install a budget boost, which is what a leveling kit is.

There's absolutely no way it's an hour job though unless you've got four guys on it.

Do it yourself. Find some Jeeper friends with experience, provide the beer/pizza, and get it done. :thumb:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll make it a project for the weekend.

·
Registered
244 Posts
$400 is about par for the course in my area. Do it yourself and save some cash. Just make sure that you invest in some quality/correct tools and that you aren't alone. Never know when something will go awry and you need someone's help, especially when it comes to dealing with jack stands with the tires off.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
I did a 1.75" spacer lift, myself in the driveway with hand tools, and it took me 2.5 hours not really being in any hurry. I did pull the wheels, though. No Alignment needed for me either, it still tracks dead straight and feels like stock. Steering wheel is just a hair off, not even enough to notice really. I would have just fixed it, but I really didn't feel like jacking it back up and messing with it for such a tiny difference. I do get my Jeep aligned once a year on general principal just because of the use offroad, so I'll have the shop straighten the wheel then.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/so-the-time-has-come-to-lift-my-jeep-123939-2.html

·
Registered
315 Posts
I did a 1.75" spacer lift, myself in the driveway with hand tools, and it took me 2.5 hours not really being in any hurry. I did pull the wheels, though. No Alignment needed for me either, it still tracks dead straight and feels like stock. Steering wheel is just a hair off, not even enough to notice really. I would have just fixed it, but I really didn't feel like jacking it back up and messing with it for such a tiny difference. I do get my Jeep aligned once a year on general principal just because of the use offroad, so I'll have the shop straighten the wheel then.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/so-the-time-has-come-to-lift-my-jeep-123939-2.html
I did the Mopar HD spring with 3/4" spacer install also,,, ez with floor jack, stands and air tools. I cant imagine not buzzing off the tires for easier access tho.
Same time frame as you,, 2.5hrs. however you dont have to jack up the rig to center your steering back up, I
used a 15mm socket or wrench to loosen the 2 nuts securing the turnbuckle in place on the drag link, grab the turnbuckle and then, rotate it clockwise or counter clockwise as needed to center the steering wheel. Takes like 2 minutes no jack needed.:punk:

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
I did the Mopar HD spring with 3/4" spacer install also,,, ez with floor jack, stands and air tools. I cant imagine not buzzing off the tires for easier access tho.
Same time frame as you,, 2.5hrs. however you dont have to jack up the rig to center your steering back up, I
used a 15mm socket or wrench to loosen the 2 nuts securing the turnbuckle in place on the drag link, grab the turnbuckle and then, rotate it clockwise or counter clockwise as needed to center the steering wheel. Takes like 2 minutes no jack needed.:punk:
Thanks for the info, I may have to do that then. :thumb:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for the info, I may have to do that then. :thumb:
The two nuts are secured at 26 foot/lbs. You might have to take it around the block a few times to get exact, so don't torque down completely until you have it right on.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
$400 is a good price for installing a real lift with a lifetime alignment warranty...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts