Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Well, this is a bit uncomfortable to say when I feel anything can still happen... but, we finally bought a Wrangler! Need to travel to another state to pick it up though... and that's where my question comes from.

As of now, we have purchased a used 2016 JKU Rubicon. 28k miles... I'm going to drive it from Nebraska to Colorado. Wondering if anyone has advice? Should I just get triple AAA and call it good? Jeep is basically stock.

I'll make a proper introduction once back with the Jeep of course...

Thank you

·
Registered
97 Posts
AAA is always good but that Jeep is hardly broken in unless it was just a weekend warrior that was rode hard and put up wet. But since you say it is stock, I would think you will have an enjoyable trip with either top down or Freedom panels out and windows down..enjoy

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
We drive our 2016 JKU, which is now up over 60,000 miles (it is only a weekend toy) out to Moab and back without worry. That is usually over 5,000 miles round trip in two weeks. Obviously a used vehicle of any kind is always a risk. Having AAA is a good idea just in case. But I would expect a late model Wrangler to be able to handle a drive like that without issue. That isn't even that far, Nebraska borders Colorado.
I hope the new Jeep works out for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the feedback... yeah, its not far... and, it really should be a straight forward trip... but, I'll be learning about said Jeep along the way and don't wanna get caught off guard from a lack of preparation.

Thank you!

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you have a serious mechanical problem going 500 miles right after purchasing with only 28k on it you bought the wrong jeep imo. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just pick it up, drive it moderate and have fun on the way home. Good luck and post some pic when you get a chance.........

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase. Like others said, there's not much likelihood that you'll have any issues with the Jeep. It may even have roadside assistance from Mopar in the event that something does happen.

If this is your first Wrangler, I would recommend that you spend an hour or two in the area where you pick it up to get everything adjusted (seat, mirrors, etc), get used to the important controls (lights, cruise, audio, etc.) and get used to how it rides, handles and brakes. If it has Bluetooth, pair your phone and make a test call to learn the controls. If the weather is nice, put the top down or take the freedom panels out and enjoy the drive :)

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I would check fluid levels first, but otherwise, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check the oil, check tire pressures. Download and read the owners manual from the Jeep website and read up before you go, ya know, the little things like where the heck is the dashboard light dimmer and what does that button do? Other than that, have fun! Easy trip! No worries!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello!

As of now, we have purchased a used 2016 JKU Rubicon. 28k miles... I'm going to drive it from Nebraska to Colorado. Wondering if anyone has advice? Should I just get triple AAA and call it good? Jeep is basically stock.
Driving across Nebraska and eastern Colorado, be prepared to experience some hood flutter. It almost always windy out there and there's a ton of semi traffic, especially on the interstates. The flutter will be worse if you're on the 2 lanes such as Highways 34 or 36, since you'll be meeting oncoming traffic.

There are lots of threads on the issue. We drive across eastern Colorado and into western Kansas a lot. One of the first things I did on our Wrangler was to install some Kentrol hood latches which took care of any flutter problem.

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like a good find! Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I can attest to anything can happen. Last year I drove my 2017 JKUR out of town and around 150+ miles out of town the Jeep went into a weird limp mode. A warning chime sounded and dash lights came on and I could not accelerate beyond 60 mph. The gears were also holding longer before shifting. I eventually made it to my destination. The Jeep at that point had less than 30k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
021411 - Yeah, this is my first purchase like this... out of state and off only a few pictures. Everything is a bit uncomfortable.
I'm not trying to bash anything, but I owned a WJ for awhile... and although I loved it dearly, it was assembled with a certain amount of stupid built in, lol. Always waiting for that the next failure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would say update your insurance once you sign the paperwork, and then add roadside assistance to the Jeep. I currently have GEICO, and its less than $20 I want to say to add for the 6 month premium.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I certainly understand. You have not had any time yet, to built up any trust in this new-to-you vehicle, be it a Jeep or otherwise.

Odds are that the new-to-you Jeep will get you home, regardless. They are famous for doing just that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Congrats! We had to drive about 3 hrs away to get ours. I think you will find highway driving not the most enjoyable, but I'm assuming you know that getting a Wrangler anyway. We were not quite used to the extra drone of larger tires and such, and there is no aerodynamics of this car, so there takes that getting used to. Still would make the same decision, I love mine!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I never even had a second thought or even considered having a thought about not driving my Jeep home or going to get it. I drove 350 miles a six-hour drive(one way) to St Louis Missouri from SE Kansas .
In Feb with ice and snow and three tires with flat spots....loved every minute of it.
'13 with 28k..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Congratulations on your new Rubicon.
Drive it and don't worry about it.
I've got a '12 Sport, with 66K miles on it, and all it's ever needed was a crank position sensor.

You will be fine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts