Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled my axle shaft out of my 08 ruby today with intent to replace a u joint ( passenger) I got my new u joint from autozone , but before I did that I checked price and part numbers from different auto part stores. All had the same part so I bought a 12 dollar u joint . After I got the old u joint out and went to put the new one in , the new one was shorter. The caps were the right size round , but the caps were shorter . Thus not allowing the u joint to go in far enough . Long story short every single auto part store I went to had the same size u joint listed for my 2008 wrangler Rubicon that did NOT FIT. So I called the dealership for the u joint , they asked for a VIN # and a casting number on the axle shaft. I gave them the casting number off of my axle shaft as I could see it . The dealership had ONLY two casting numbers listed under my VIN # and one of them was the one that matched my casting number on my axle shaft. However , the dealership claimed that my u joint was un serviceable and I needed to buy an updated axle shaft that contained both long shaft and short shaft and the u joint already installed and also needed new 13 mm bolts UPDATED for clearance bolts that held the hub on. Can anyone confirm that I really needed to buy a 420.00 axle shaft with the u joint? Not to mention a 130.00 unit bearing cause mine was froze on the old shaft and the ABS sensor was froze in and broke off... BLAH ... JEEP JUST. EMPTY. EVERY . POCKET !!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You needed 5-7166x. Went through the same BS.
Ya know , I was afraid you were going to say something like that. Grrr. well its a little to late . lesson learned 600 bucks later. 420.00 for a new axle shaft 138.00 for new bearing unit. Just plain nutz! But the previous owned had beat on the axle shaft threads so the bad threads and had to be ground down past the bad just to get the nut off. Then the unit bearing was froze on the shaft , even tried a puller pb blaster and heat on it. Nope stuck like chuck. Had to buy a new nut too... Just a freekn nightmare to try and explain to the wife why after 600.00 bucks she still hears all the squeeks , clunks and rattles that had nothing to do with the u joint.. lol... But ya know an average joe wouldn't know these things . Thus spending all that money when there IS a replicable u joint available , makes me wonder just what the auto parts store is selling, what does that u joint goto , because its listed for 2008 jeep wrangler front axle u joint. NONE of them fit.. Anyway thanks to you sir for teaching me something , I will NEVER forget that and will pass that on... Thanks man!!

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealership is not going to install a Spicer joint. I had a local shop do one .. Well both until i got the phone call saying the joints in hand were to small. They were able to find 1 of the original part number and install it. Last year i did the other side myself.
Not that it really matters cause mines done now , but u stated the dealership will not install a spicer u joint. I'm guessing cause they want you to buy a new shaft. But what I didn't understand is u said you had a local shop do one. the Spicer? Then you said well both until u got a call saying the ones in hand were to small. I'm guessing you ment the auto parts store u joints? So the shop found 1 factory u joint and installed it? and you did the other with the Spicer? And then my question again is what the heck is the auto parts stores selling? Because that u joint does not fit a 2008 wrangler I mean 3 different auto parts stores all had the same ones.... Crazy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts