Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I've searched around and found some general info but nothing to specific. Maybe someone has had similar issues and can help me out.

Info on the Jeep: 2003, 4.0, 42lre, 35" tires.

Recently my Jeep started "slipping" as it shifts into overdrive. It has never given me a problem until this week. At around 50mph when it shifts into overdrive it will rev up 2-300 rpm before catching the next gear. Of course the more throttle I'm giving at the time of the shift the more it revs between the shift and if I'm barely giving it throttle or going down hill it seems to shift normal.

The transmission has a recent service with new fluid and filter. Anyone out there having similar issues? I'm trying to stay positive but it's making me want to sell my trail rig to buy a stock Jeep so I can quit dealing with all this small stuff that is breaking my college bank account.

Crank sensor is ticking, some idiot cut my catalytic converters off, A/C fan only works on high, fan clutch is busted, belt squeals, and of course now I'm scared to death that my transmission is about to take a dump on me.. Done ranting now! lol I understand any used vehicle is going to have it's issues and Jeeps are kind of a different breed as well. I just have to stay motivated and get things handled. I still wake up every morning and let my dogs out and smile as I open the door and it's sitting there in the drive way. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it do it when you turn OverDrive off?
Well it's actually when it shifts into overdrive that it acts up.

Upon shifting out of third it free revs about 2-300rpm and then settles into overdrive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is what mine was doing when I first bought it. I knew it had problems so after a month I got tired of that shift and took it in to get fixed. They tore it apart and the 2/4 clutch pack was destroyed and the TCM WAS BAD. I ended up with a rebuilt transmission and a new TCM.

Well, needless to say it started doing it again. I just took it back to them and they found that the new valve body they installed was bad from the dealer. Not saying that is all wrong with yours, but I would start with a transmission flush and maybe a new valve body.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crap.. I'll try a flush and adding a cooler first. The cooler should have been done when new, but I didn't buy the Jeep new.

If it's all that I will be driving it that way for a while lol.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have a problem with my 42RLE that it chatters when the torque converter engages (goes into overdrive?) and brings the rpms down to around 1300-1500 at 45mph.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a problem with my 42RLE that it chatters when the torque converter engages (goes into overdrive?) and brings the rpms down to around 1300-1500 at 45mph.

How high is your lift? Sounds like that could be driveline vibes.

I have driven standard my whole life and actually wanted an auto when I found this jeep but the OD transmission seems to be a basket case.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
How high is your lift? Sounds like that could be driveline vibes. I have driven standard my whole life and actually wanted an auto when I found this jeep but the OD transmission seems to be a basket case.
4 inch with 1 bl on an LJ. Problem is it just started and is directly related to throttle position. If it chatters and I let off, it immediately stops and goes back to normal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trans started acting fine recently. Really not sure what could cause that.

Really wishing I had the 3 speed...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts