Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 TJ with the auto. So I know that heat kills an auto Trans. My question is would an auxiliary cooler be worth the money. Not no fancy one with a fan either. Just an aluminum cooler that is spliced into the return line. Will it make that much of a difference on keeping the Trans cool and extend the life of the Trans? Anyone ever install one? If so pics would be nice.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Are you sure you don't have one from the factory? I replaced the stock factory unit on my YJ, if you don't have one get one.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
get one for sure...I run a very nice one on my rock crawler but for my old junker yj I went to the u-pull-it junk yard and got a factory cooler off a grand cherokee for 5 bucks

·
Registered
204 Posts
I run two coolers on mine to deal with the Texas heat. I have a tube fin dual pass for the line as it leaves the tranny and a derale with fan at the return line. I bypassed the thermostatic switch and wired it direct with a toggle switch. I monitor with an autometer sending unit in the pan.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks for the input, will be hittin the local boneyard to find one that will work for me.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I run two coolers on mine to deal with the Texas heat. I have a tube fin dual pass for the line as it leaves the tranny and a derale with fan at the return line. I bypassed the thermostatic switch and wired it direct with a toggle switch. I monitor with an autometer sending unit in the pan.
that's heavy duty..my rock crawler has a temp gauge and never gets even close to redline here in south georgia

·
Registered
204 Posts
With the supercharger on long trips it develops alot of heat. During my last 4hr highway run to Austin (3hrs @75mph 104 degrees), when I hit stop and go in the city after 3 hrs on the highway my temps got up to 200. So I added the cooler and fan. Now they stay around 150/175 on hot days in traffic.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
With the supercharger on long trips it develops alot of heat. During my last 4hr highway run to Austin (3hrs @75mph 104 degrees), when I hit stop and go in the city after 3 hrs on the highway my temps got up to 200. So I added the cooler and fan. Now they stay around 150/175 on hot days in traffic.
cool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts