Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems a few people are buying the 430 RBZ on ebay over the 430N.

This works 100% on 2013? What about if you want to add backup cam? Can the something lock work on this unit too?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Well, nothing is 100%. There are too many versions of the RBZ out there to say it is 100%. What I can say is that my RBZ was 100% plug and play in my 2013.

And yes, you can add a back-up cam.
I thought about going with Lockpick...but it seems like it can get buggy at times. (Which is too bad since Lockpick allows for movies in motion, plus it does not need a dealer flash).

But instead, I'll look into a Commander back-up camera. The dealer needs to flash the unit to turn it on, but that is fine if they could hopefully flash my particular RBZ to say "Jeep" on the splash screen at the same time. But I want to make sure it is 100% plug and play first.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My RBZ will arrive on Wednesday. I'll post an update when I get it installed.
I looked into a lockpick, especially since I don't have uconnect, but I'm pretty skeptical about paying that much money for something that a lot of people seem to have issues with.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, nothing is 100%. There are too many versions of the RBZ out there to say it is 100%. What I can say is that my RBZ was 100% plug and play in my 2013.

And yes, you can add a back-up cam.
I thought about going with Lockpick...but it seems like it can get buggy at times. (Which is too bad since Lockpick allows for movies in motion, plus it does not need a dealer flash).

But instead, I'll look into a Commander back-up camera. The dealer needs to flash the unit to turn it on, but that is fine if they could hopefully flash my particular RBZ to say "Jeep" on the splash screen at the same time. But I want to make sure it is 100% plug and play first.
My RBZ will arrive on Wednesday. I'll post an update when I get it installed.
I looked into a lockpick, especially since I don't have uconnect, but I'm pretty skeptical about paying that much money for something that a lot of people seem to have issues with.
Didn't realize there was an issue with the lockpicks.

How much is the Commaner for a backup camera? Sounds like that is a good strategy if I go the RBZ route.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
What is RBZ vs N? My jeep only came with the option of 430 or the upgraded (720? I think?).

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
What is RBZ vs N? My jeep only came with the option of 430 or the upgraded (720? I think?).
The 430 (RBZ) is the non-nav version of the 430N. It is not available as a factory option in the Wrangler for some odd reason (only the 430N and 730N are offered). But if you find the right version on ebay, it is an easy plug and play swap to upgrade from a 130.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What's the upside to it without nav? I am definitely wanting to upgrade soon, but i can't imagine this bring that much of an upgrade without nav. Is it that much cheaper to just get a screen?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
What's the upside to it without nav? I am definitely wanting to upgrade soon, but i can't imagine this bring that much of an upgrade without nav. Is it that much cheaper to just get a screen?
It has all of the features of the 130 plus:

*Extra USB port
*About 28 gigs of Hard-Drive space for music.
*LCD screen (for back-up cam and/or Lickpick).

OEM, so it is less likely to get stolen, and it works with all of the OEM options like Uconnect, EVIC and Sirius.

It was a 15 minute install, 100% plug and play, and for the $259.10 (shipped) I paid for it....it was worth the upgrade.

I don't use nav enough to pay $1000 for a 430N, and I have Google maps on my phone if I do need to find my way.

The hard part is finding the right version with the right mix of features and colors.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am starting to see the upside lol. I didn't know about this hu. Nav was one thing i was on the fence about when i ordered my Jeep, but honestly i would just want it for the screen anyway. I looked on Ebay at a few and some don't chine with sat radio so i guess you have to careful which one you get. Everything still works right (like steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, etc...)?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I am starting to see the upside lol. I didn't know about this hu. Nav was one thing i was on the fence about when i ordered my Jeep, but honestly i would just want it for the screen anyway. I looked on Ebay at a few and some don't chine with sat radio so i guess you have to careful which one you get. Everything still works right (like steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, etc...)?
Yeah, this HU isn't available on the Wrangler for some reason.

I took a lot of research to figure out which version works for the Wrangler and what features to look for. You want the high speed bus versions, and you want to make sure they had Sirius. You want the newer ones, but if they are too new they will need a security code (make sure you get that) and they may also have blue led back-lighting intead of green.

I got mine out of a 2010 Town and Country. Everything was 100% plug and play and works like a charm (bluetooth, connect, steering wheel).

I have this one: 5064678

Great info here...but it stops in 2010.
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System - parts
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System radios

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pretty significant price difference to buy used w/o Nav. A couple hundred bucks. Also more plentiful. There are a lot of basically unused 430's out there that are sold to parts resellers in lots because they've been removed right away for owners who DO want Nav.

Unless you lockpick it, you can't operate the Nav when the vehicle is moving. I have two fairly expensive Garmin GPS units, so I don't need the nav, and I don't have that limitation either on the Garmins.

I wanted the touch screen, the hard drive, and the built-in satellite radio tuner without an add-on module that most aftermarket systems require. I paid $350, and that's still going to be way under what an aftermarket would cost.

Note - they don't all have satellite capability built in. It has to have the Sirius logo for that. I almost bought one without.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Radio plugs

Hello,

I was verifying the background plugs that have the 430 rbz and it have a white input, I view in ebay a 130, like the one that I have and it do no have that plug, some body know for what is the white plug, i have not remove my radio, but is the 130 with the uconnect, ipod integration and satelite radio.

If not wrong the the white small input is for the antena the yellow one is for the satelite and the big one, but not sure about the white one that is like square.

I would like to make sure that all the functions that i have keep working with the new radio, uconnecto blutooth, ipod integration, steering wheel control.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello,

I was verifying the background plugs that have the 430 rbz and it have a white input, I view in ebay a 130, like the one that I have and it do no have that plug, some body know for what is the white plug, i have not remove my radio, but is the 130 with the uconnect, ipod integration and satelite radio.

If not wrong the the white small input is for the antena the yellow one is for the satelite and the big one, but not sure about the white one that is like square.

I would like to make sure that all the functions that i have keep working with the new radio, uconnecto blutooth, ipod integration, steering wheel control.

I'm interested in this question, as well

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Hello,

Not sure which one you are referring to. Can you post the ebay pic of what you are talking about?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The square white connector is not used. Others have said that it maybe for dealer or manufacturing flash, but I don't know. The connector i am referring to is not the FARKA connector which is for the antenna.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Will the splash screen on an RBZ change to say Jeep?

Hey Panthermark, I've read a lot of your posts about the RBZ and you seem to be an expert on them, so I was wondering if you could tell me whether or not an RBZ that says Dodge or Chrysler will eventually change to say Jeep? I've read different things about this. Some people say it will, others say it won't. I read on another forum that yours had the Chrysler splash screen. Did that ever change for you? If not, can the dealer just flash the radio to have it say Jeep? Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
The dealer needs to flash the unit to turn it on, but that is fine if they could hopefully flash my particular RBZ to say "Jeep" on the splash screen at the same time. But I want to make sure it is 100% plug and play first.
Can't speak for a 2013, but I bought an RBZ on EBay for a 2011. The unit was pulled from a Caravan. When I first turned it on, it said "Dodge", but the second time I started the vehicle, it said "Jeep" and displayed the appropriate logo.

My understanding is that the units are supposed to be plug-and-play, in that they recognize the make of the vehicle in which they're installed and display the appropriate logo (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep) because all of the logos are built into the firmware.

Having said that, I read that in 2012 Chrysler added some anti-theft measures to the MyGigs to include a security/unlock code that must be entered to pair it with the particular vehicle it's installed in. As far as I know, this didn't exist in the 2011 and back MyGigs. I haven't experimented with the 2012s or newer because my 2012 came with a 730N so there was no need to upgrade it (like the 130 that I replaced with a 430 in the 2011).

I've also read that the older MyGigs (e.g. 2011) will work in the newer vehicles (e.g. 2013) as long as the bus speeds match (all Wranglers use the high-speed bus, AFAIK). I can't say this for sure because I haven't tried it, but this is just what I've read -- it could all be nonsense, too.

A good website for MyGig info is mofv.com (which appears to be down again -- or at least it's not responding when I tried it 30 seconds ago).

·
Registered
6 Posts
RBZ Sound

Can anyone tell me if the RBZ has better quality sound that the RES?
I don't want to change the stereo just for touch screen, I want better sound quality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts