Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One minor complaint I have with my new Wrangler is that the 'touchscreen' of the 430N stereo (which was not cheap) is SUPER BLURRY in appearance....

Some text, etc are better on certain screen views than others.... but the NAVIGATION SCREEN is abysmal.

Check out this photo which does an accurate job of showing how fuzzy/blurry text and images are while in Navigation mode....

Does your 430N Nav screen look like this? I also found it ludicrous that the screen images appear to be made out of 1980's style dot matrix LCD technology..... they must have gotten a helluva deal from a black market Ukraine surplus source.

Can you kind folks compare my screen image to yours? Is this normal, or do I need a new stereo swapped out under warranty?

Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sadly normal... I can barely see my screen with polarized glasses. IMO, the whole stereo "interface" is garbage. My alpine system does sound nice though.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Wait until you're in a National Park and the park property is green and you can't even see the roads. Searched and couldn't find any way to improve it. Basically worthless. I use my iPhone for navigation.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
The 430n is a totally overpriced and antiquated radio. It was almost a deal breaker for me when I bought my Jeep as I wanted the dealer to remove it ...I ended up keeping it once they increased my trade in price...it does the job for now.... will wait until there are more wireless CarPlay radios available or technology shifts further to where you can just load apps directly... you can do some of it now but it's not fully baked yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Wow, that's crappy resolution alright.

Lots of great HUs out there. I love my Kenwood DNX 893s with Garmin Navigation but there are plenty of other choices.

Reactions: JoeFriday

·
Registered
185 Posts
I recently picked up my 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon and ordered the 430N with Alipne speakers. System sounds awesome. But I have to agree that the screen-especially the nav screens- are terrible with terrible resolution. Definitely a huge downgrade from the screen on the 730N that was in my 2012 JKUR. I dislike it so much I purchased a 6" Garmin that is now sitting in the dash. Makes me feel like it was a huge waste of $$$ for a supposed top of the line HU.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Yeah. The 430N is junk! Not only does the screen look like hell under pretty much any conditions, it's also clunky to use. I hate that it can't be used while you're going down the road. My wife could put in a destination while I drive but instead, big brother Chrysler is looking out for everybody. I have very rarely used it as a GPS at all. I usually know where I'm going though and still like to navigate using maps. Sometimes though, it's nice to see where the roads are if I'm in a neighborhood or a park and need to find the way out. Somebody mentioned the National Parks. I couldn't agree more. You can't see a damn thing on there when you're in a park. The 430N came on my Jeep. I sure wouldn't have ordered it though. I keep meaning to replace it but I always find something else I'd rather have like new gears or something. The Alpine system sounds great though. No regrets there. I've heard that it sounds better with the 430N than the 130. I've never compared them myself though.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I pulled my 430 about a week after I bought my jeep. Awful!

I opted to replace with a non nav head unit and a separate windshield mount/portable garmin nav. I can easily take it in and connect it to the computer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that's crappy resolution alright.

Lots of great HUs out there. I love my Kenwood DNX 893s with Garmin Navigation but there are plenty of other choices.
The Kenwood you swapped the Alpine unit for..... does it work with the steering wheel voice commands, bluetooth, etc? How is the sound? Was it 'plug and play'?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The only steering wheel voice command I ever use is for my iPhone and it works fine for that. If there are other voice commands, like "turn on the radio" or "switch to Bluetooth" I haven't tried that. I do have volume and station control on my steering wheel.

Bluetooth works great. Plus I've got two USB ports, the one in the console and one in my glove box. The unit can handle both Apple Car Play and Android and can be programmed for two phones.

The overall sound is great but I also swapped my stock speakers for Focals, an Alpine pre-amp and a Kenwood sub-woofer so I don't know how much to attribute to the HU.

I had the work done at Car Toys so can't help with the plug and play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts