Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to remove the safety feature which turns off video while jeep Is not in park?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is there a way to remove the safety feature which turns off video while jeep Is not in park?
Like previously mentioned...MyGig Lockpick from coastal tech. Only works on automatics. I just installed one in my Rubicon, and added a back up cam at the same time. Works awesome

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Anyone have a used mygig for sale? Would love for my daughter to be able to watch Frozen for the 37th time during our trip to the coast this spring break. $300 just to unlock this feature is pretty steep.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Like previously mentioned...MyGig Lockpick from coastal tech. Only works on automatics. I just installed one in my Rubicon, and added a back up cam at the same time. Works awesome
Works on both automatics and manuals actually. (On my 3rd manual with a Lockpick/NavTV)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anyone have a used mygig for sale? Would love for my daughter to be able to watch Frozen for the 37th time during our trip to the coast this spring break. $300 just to unlock this feature is pretty steep.
That is steep. Wonder if used ones are out there too.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Seriously, the screen on this unit is horrible, get a used ipad or tablet. That will make it portable as well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does lockpick

Support additional monitors
Kid thing also was considering install 2 headrest monitors for them

·
Registered
166 Posts
Works on both automatics and manuals actually. (On my 3rd manual with a Lockpick/NavTV)
I'm thinking now maybe its only if you want to add a backup cam that it won't work with the manual trans,,,which makes sense.
I mostly unlocked mine for DVD and Nav input on the road,,,but decided I might as well do the cam to, very glad now that I did.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Seriously, the screen on this unit is horrible, get a used ipad or tablet. That will make it portable as well.
Agreed this is a much better option. I just bought an 8" Samsung tablet for $180 at Costco before a trip to Belize just to throw some books on and podcasts, and I can't believe how good the video quality is and how much I enjoy using it. Way, way better than dropping coin on a low resolution OEM headunit. If there was a hack that was free or super cheap, it would be different, but anything over $100 just seems pointless when you can get a tablet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm thinking now maybe its only if you want to add a backup cam that it won't work with the manual trans,,,which makes sense.
I mostly unlocked mine for DVD and Nav input on the road,,,but decided I might as well do the cam to, very glad now that I did.
Backup camera works perfectly on the manual, which is the primary reason I've purchased them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Backup camera works perfectly on the manual, which is the primary reason I've purchased them.
Then why does everything they have written on website and in the instructions say not for manual trans? I've come across posts on this forum regarding issues with installing into a manual gearbox jeep and people saying they contacted Coastal Tech and their explanation was "not for manual". Did you have to do anything outside of their instructions to make it work? I'm just curious as to why the conflicting info. Definitely nice to know it can work in a manual trans jeep.

As for people wanting to use an ipad or similar, the sound sucks. LOL. And any other vehicle I've tried to run my ipad sound through the stereo there seems to always be a delay from the video which has been annoying. Plus loading movies is another pain. I like I can now pop a DVD in (which they practically give away in bins at walmart etc). The sound on my Alpine system with a DVD running makes up for the smaller pic. My $.02,,,I'm from Canada, so more like $.01 :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't know why they say that. But I can tell unequivocally that it works on manual transmissions. Either I'm the luckiest guy in the world and miraculously have got 3 of 3 to work, or, it really does work on the manual. Either way, I'm good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts