Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been searching for two days on this forum as well as Google for an idea of whether or not I can get my 430N and iPhone4s to play nicely together when it comes to incoming SMS messages, but have had no success.

When I paired my iPhone4s with the 430N, it went smoothly and my phone does successfully pair as well as stream over BT. However, when following the manual's (brief) instructions on configuring SMS to read incoming messages, my system will not cooperate. When I depress the VR button and say "SMS", the system pauses and does nothing and then returns from VR mode back to the radio or whatever input it was previously on.

Jeep.com's site indicates that the iPhone4 is compatible with the 430N, it does not explicitly list the 4s. Yet the 4s does pair and function otherwise. I was looking online to see if Siri actually interferes when paired via BT (it is somewhat annoying to have Siri activated via BT because of the lag in connectivity and issuing VR commands to Siri, but the only way Ive found around this is to un-pair the phone)

So I was just curious if there are 430N owners here that have the iphone4s and SMS working on their JKs?

*edited to add that my iPhone4s is at IOS 5.0.1 *

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Someone in another thread mentioned that there are only two phones that support the function...iPhone not one of them.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think I was in that thread for a bit, thanks Reynoldsmao1

·
Registered
696 Posts
Why not just ask Siri to read the message to you?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not just ask Siri to read the message to you?
Well, its an option but its not hands-free. I've had varying degrees of success using Siri when paired via BT with 2 other vehicles, but both of these other vehicles also would occasionally confuse Siri due in part I think to delays in the bluetooth engaging once Siri has been 'prompted' and the time it actually hears your request, which can also be echoed through the vehicle as you hear yourself speaking through the vehicle's speakers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
su_flame said:
well, its an option but its not hands-free. I've had varying degrees of success using siri when paired via bt with 2 other vehicles, but both of these other vehicles also would occasionally confuse siri due in part i think to delays in the bluetooth engaging once siri has been 'prompted' and the time it actually hears your request, which can also be echoed through the vehicle as you hear yourself speaking through the vehicle's speakers.
lgo!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
SU_Flame said:
Well, its an option but its not hands-free.
Isn't pushing a button on the phone and asking it to read you a message just as "hands free" as pushing a button on your steering wheel and asking your radio the same?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't pushing a button on the phone and asking it to read you a message just as "hands free" as pushing a button on your steering wheel and asking your radio the same?
the whole point of hands-free, steering wheel-mounted controls are to avoid fumbling with, reaching for or trying to manipulate a device while driving in any way. And like I said, Siri through BT just doesnt cut it most of the time.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok, sounds like user error as I have no issue using mine that way. Hope you find the solution to your issue.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, sounds like user error as I have no issue using mine that way. Hope you find the solution to your issue.
Its a user error? Look, is there any point in being sarcastic when I clearly stated that using Siri through BT is AN option but that I was trying to see if anyone on here was able to successfully use the SMS feature through their 430N with an iPhone4s? What am I missing here? I'm glad Siri via BT works great for you, really I am. But that wasnt really what I was looking for here. :banghead:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I gave a viable option that clearly does work. If you cannot get it to work correctly then it must be user error.

I don't see too many others trying to help you and thought I'd help out, clearly that was a mistake. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts