Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've searched. I just want to confirm:

1. Unless I spend around $250 on a LockPik (whatever that is), the navigation can not be operated unless the Jeep is in park.

2. DVD's can only be played when the Jeep is in park.

I already use Nav on my Android, and my younger kids can watch movies on their laptops or smartphones, so I'm really thinking that, given the above, there's NWIH I'm getting the 430N or 730N. Just a waste of money for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can use the Nav when the Jeep is in motion, but the "Keyboard" feature is not available. When the Jeep stops and it's still in drive the "Keyboard" feature is available to use. As soon as the vehicle starts to move it becomes disabled. If I recall when the Jeep is moving you can pull up recently found locations & favorites, not sure about POI's.

I have a company vehicle & I'm at work... Otherwise I would check to see what exact features are available when the Jeep is in drive and moving. Of course I would do this in a controlled environment. ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Not to still the OP's thunder but is there a way to changw the color of the screen buttons or am i stuck with blue

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not to still the OP's thunder but is there a way to changw the color of the screen buttons or am i stuck with blue
Not that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You like watching movies while you drive?
No, my kids do. We make frequent 2-3 hour trips, and if I get a JKU, it's replacing my Yukon XL as my dd. Hence the question.

And like I said, they can watch on their laptops.

I just want to confirm how this system works so I can be positive I don't want it. I already know about the updates, these are really the only 2 things left for me to confirm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know about the updates ... Can you catch me up ???

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have the 430N. Bigsbears46 is basically right. You can't watch DVDs while the car is moving. The nav is mostly operational while the car is moving. You can't type while the car is moving (so no address entry or search by location/name for Points of Interest). However you are still able to search through the lists under your "Recently Found" list and the "Points of Interest" list by categories (i.e. Food, Gas, Shopping, etc.).

On a separate note, if you get the 730N, you can use the voice search feature and tell the nav to search for an address and Points of Interest verbally. Didn't think I'd want that until after I got the 430N. I definitely would opt for the 730N now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The NAV input keyboard only functions when doing <5mph. DVD is completely disabled (from the factory) unless in park with the parking brake set I believe.

Lockpick or NavTV bypasses both of these nanny state limitations.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know about the updates ... Can you catch me up ???
Based on what I've read (NOT first hand experience), there are yearly updates on the nav system (maps and such, I'm sure) and the updates are expensive.

Others with first hand info, please correct me or further clarify.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dustintnsley said:
MCDavis, you should just sell me your 430N... I want one...
I don't have one, nor a JKU yet. Doubt I'll ever have a 430N unless I get it free.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
MCDavis said:
Yes, I've searched. I just want to confirm:

1. Unless I spend around $250 on a LockPik (whatever that is), the navigation can not be operated unless the Jeep is in park.

2. DVD's can only be played when the Jeep is in park.

I already use Nav on my Android, and my younger kids can watch movies on their laptops or smartphones, so I'm really thinking that, given the above, there's NWIH I'm getting the 430N or 730N. Just a waste of money for me.
1. Mostly true. On the 430N, this is 100% true. On the 730N, you can use voice control to operate the nav, but can't use the touchscreen. The lockpick can also overcome this on the 730N.

2. Lockpick will defeat this also.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Won't lockpick screw up the navigation system in terms of arrival times and such due to how it fools the system into thinking it is not moving? One of the reasons I have held off on it. If I am wrong here, please tell me! :doh:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
No, I had one on my 08 and everything worked perfect.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This is the same situation on my Murano but not on our BMWs. Apparently the Germans understand (1) we are not idiots and (2) it's possible for the passenger to work the NAV while the driver drives. My understanding from the dealer is that the Pik is simply grounding a wire. ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lock Pick Speeds

Won't lockpick screw up the navigation system in terms of arrival times and such due to how it fools the system into thinking it is not moving? One of the reasons I have held off on it. If I am wrong here, please tell me! :doh:
Its actually kind of kewl, all it does is show your speed at 0km's . Everything else works, including the time to arrive to location. Easy to turn that feature on and off by just double pressing the power button.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is why I changed the 430N in my 2012 to a JVC unit. It's crazy that you can't freaking enter an address unless the car is dead.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, another question: I'm finding that, in order to get what I want without ordering a Jeep, I have to accept the 430N. So, what's so great about it, compared to the 130 setup, other than it has nav? What's it offering that's worth the money?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts