Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
do you mean a 44hp? if so, aren't those gears reverse-cut? though that would affect the r&p, not necessarily a problem with the locker itself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the actual problem he is experiencing is that he can't get the axle shafts to slide into the locker?
If this information is here I cant find it so, My build sheet says the rear is a Dana 44HD, I want to put a locker in so I bought a Spartan Locker part# SL D44-30. well to make a long story short, it doesn't fit, too small, So I am thinking I should have got the D44-SL-D44HD-30. To make sure I am going to order the right part I call tech support and I am told that Jeep does not put a DANA 44HD in the Jeep.. So I am confused, He tells me I need he carrier and so.. here I am. Why would my build sheet say its a HD if its not? If it is a HD then will the D44HD-30 locker fit in it? Help..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this information is here I cant find it so, My build sheet says the rear is a Dana 44HD, I want to put a locker in so I bought a Spartan Locker part# SL D44-30. well to make a long story short, it doesn't fit, too small, So I am thinking I should have got the D44-SL-D44HD-30. To make sure I am going to order the right part I call tech support and I am told that Jeep does not put a DANA 44HD in the Jeep.. So I am confused, He tells me I need he carrier and so.. here I am. Why would my build sheet say its a HD if its not? If it is a HD then will the D44HD-30 locker fit in it? Help..
This is the text he just sent to me of it helps in not there to see it for myself just going off of this

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
after browsing the internets, it doesn't seem that they make a spartan for the jk 44 rear. most of what I've seen indicates that the spartan can be used with tj rear 44's, but not jk's (that is, without changing the carrier). I'll dig some more, see what I can find.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after browsing the internets, it doesn't seem that they make a spartan for the jk 44 rear. most of what I've seen indicates that the spartan can be used with tj rear 44's, but not jk's (that is, without changing the carrier). I'll dig some more, see what I can find.
Well thats bad news but thanks for looking

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Jeep calls their Dana 44 next gen and HD. It is not a Dana44HD by Dana standards. You have a JK Dana 44 or a JK Rubicon Dana 44. As described above.

A Dana44HD is actually a Ford axle and is listed as such with locker manufacturers.

Bob K.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeep calls their Dana 44 next gen and HD. It is not a Dana44HD by Dana standards. You have a JK Dana 44 or a JK Rubicon Dana 44. As described above.

A Dana44HD is actually a Ford axle and is listed as such with locker manufacturers.

Bob K.
So he needs a jk 44 not a 44 or 44HD?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,009 Posts
Rear rubi has thicker gears I believe. That and 32 spline shafts. Reg 44 has 30 spline shafts. I believe that's it. What are you trying to do ?
Dana 44 1st generation 1.33" shaft, 30 spline.
Dana 44 New Generation 1.41" shaft, 32 spline.

If I am not mistaken, all Dana 44s are new generation from 2007 till current in our Wranglers.
Model of Wrangler, Rubicon or other, doesn't make any difference!

A corvette that I owned in the past, had a Dana 44HD in it.
I was not aware that Chrysler/Jeep offered it in our Wranglers.....:confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it Spartan lockers do not work on a 2010 you have to replace the carrier and some other stuff. So he is going to buy another brand. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2014 jku rubicon, and it has dana 44 HD on the front.This is what it says on jeeps website. The HD axles have wider pinion and ring gears, which are typically the weak spot on dana 44 axles. What it doesn't say on jeep's site is that the rear axle on a rubicon is also a dana 44 hd, whereas the sport and sahara have the regular dana 44 housing with 30 spline axles. The HD setup has 32 spline axles.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Dana 44 1st generation 1.33" shaft, 30 spline.
Dana 44 New Generation 1.41" shaft, 32 spline.

If I am not mistaken, all Dana 44s are new generation from 2007 till current in our Wranglers.
Model of Wrangler, Rubicon or other, doesn't make any difference!

A corvette that I owned in the past, had a Dana 44HD in it.
I was not aware that Chrysler/Jeep offered it in our Wranglers.....:confused:
The JK D44 comes in two variants. The standard "next gen" uses new gears that are bigger and beefier than older D44 axles. They do however use a standard 3.73 and down 30 spline differential from an old style D44, along with the same carrier bearings. This is for all 3.73 and up JK gear sets.

The JK Rubicon D44 uses the exact same gears as the standard D44. However it uses a Rubicon specific 32 spline diffeerential. The pinion bearings are the same but the carrier bearings are larger metric bearings.

You can't swap the diffs from a non-Rubicon to a Rubicon. But the gears are the same.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,009 Posts
The JK D44 comes in two variants. The standard "next gen" uses new gears that are bigger and beefier than older D44 axles. They do however use a standard 3.73 and down 30 spline differential from an old style D44, along with the same carrier bearings. This is for all 3.73 and up JK gear sets.

The JK Rubicon D44 uses the exact same gears as the standard D44. However it uses a Rubicon specific 32 spline diffeerential. The pinion bearings are the same but the carrier bearings are larger metric bearings.

You can't swap the diffs from a non-Rubicon to a Rubicon. But the gears are the same.
Thank you for the update!:thumb:

I looked up my window sticker build sheet for my 2013 Rubicon, and sure enough it says Dana 44 Heavy Duty, for both front and rear.......:happyyes:

It's nice to see, that we do receive some extra beefed up quality, for the extra costs occurred!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's not over yet..... The JK D-44 also uses 1/2" dia. Ring Gear Bolts. Soooo, that means the holes in the new Locker Carrier IE: Detroit locker, Detroit Tru-Trac, may need to be drilled out to fit the 1/2" bolts...

I believe there is a "power-trax" locker that may fit the 07 and up JK's....
Try looking at Part Number.. 92-0444-3000 "fits 07-2011 JK 2-4 door D-44 rear axles".
I'm looking for one too... good luck ! "BH"

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
It's not over yet..... The JK D-44 also uses 1/2" dia. Ring Gear Bolts. Soooo, that means the holes in the new Locker Carrier IE: Detroit locker, Detroit Tru-Trac, may need to be drilled out to fit the 1/2" bolts...

I believe there is a "power-trax" locker that may fit the 07 and up JK's....
Try looking at Part Number.. 92-0444-3000 "fits 07-2011 JK 2-4 door D-44 rear axles".
I'm looking for one too... good luck ! "BH"
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I had to drill out the holes in the flange when I was bolting up the ring gear on the locker when I was putting it in my non-rubicon JK D44.

The diffs made to fit in the JK Rubicon D44 have the right size holes already.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts