Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this, a decent handheld HAM radio is $15 off on Amazon for another another hour or so, but you can only purchase ONE for $47: http://a.co/3QOSVxV

Reactions: Frydaddy

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I have a BF-F8HP. Good little radio. The programming, like all Baofengs suck but I usually use CHIRP and it's fine.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
I won one of those at a Christmas party and gave up on ever fully understanding it for anything other than simplex duties. Its manual seemed to have been translated from Chinese to English by a computer that wasn't up to the job. I ended up donating it back to my club to give to a new member.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been testing it for a few days and after about 20 miles it starts getting difficult to understand people (tuned into a repeater). It will do great for trail rides I attend, $47 well spent IMO.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a few of these as well. Adding an aftermarket antenna and a counterpoise helped me hit a few more (distant) repeaters but to be honest they are junk. My Yaesu VX8-DR blows them away in terms of sensitivity & selectivity. Yes, I know I’m compairing a $400 HT to a $60 HT but these Chicom radios are really a “get what you pay for” kinda thing. One of the only reasons I got them was due to the optional 3800 mAh batteries. They make excellent NOAA weather receivers for emergency purposes.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I suddenly want to get one of these things. It's another gadget. I'd rather spend $47 than $62. Is there another hand held that is just as "good"?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not “another gadget”

I suddenly want to get one of these things. It's another gadget. I'd rather spend $47 than $62. Is there another hand held that is just as "good"?
Umm, you know that you need to have a valid Amateur radio licence to legally operate one of these, right??

·
Registered
402 Posts
These things are great for the price if expectations are low. Nice to have for alternate comm like stated above, trail rides, rig to rig when everyone else is on CB. Local club made a bulk purchase and volunteered to assist with check point comm during a running event. When they are needed most they will fail. Con't comm during emergency situations expect failure. I like to describe it as "Duty Cycle" on welders. Buy a welder from Harbor Freight and don't expect it to become the primary welder in a Fab Shop.

Good luck, Chuck

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
We have several hams in our club and use the little Baofengs for comms at events we work like the State Fair demo derby.

So far, they have worked great. Again, I don't expect them to work like my Motorola HT does. However, they have not failed us at all and have reasonable transmit and receive quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts