Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Thinking of a 2015 Unlimited Altitude Edition Jeep to use for work. Will the 3.21 axles be ok for a 3000 pound cargo trailer? The weight is the loaded weight. The trailer is for occasional use, maybe 5 days a month. The dealers advice is sure it will tow anything. Thanks for any advice. The Jeep has a tow package on it from the factory, however it is not the max tow package.

·
Registered
351 Posts
3.73 is going to be your best bet. At least that's what I gather from most of my research in the forum. I'm sure more experienced guys can give you a better answer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i towed a 2500# trailer from VT to MO with my 06 TJ and didnt have any trouble. it had the 3.07 gears IIRC.

i regularly tow 1000# trailer of wood pellets with my toyota yaris every year also with no issues. a properly loaded trailer and conservative driving go a long way to preventing towing accidents.

YMMV

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Get an Unlimited with a 3.73 axle. If you damage the drivetrain by towing in excess of the tow rating I would bet that the dealer won't stand by "...it will tow anything" statement. Get the proper set up for what you want to use it for. It sounds like the dealer is more interested in making a specific sale over what "your" needs are. You'll here comments about I towed a 5,000 lb. whatever with no issues from Alaska to Hawaii, but there's a tow rating for a reason.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Get an Unlimited with a 3.73 axle. If you damage the drivetrain by towing in excess of the tow rating I would bet that the dealer won't stand by "...it will tow anything" statement. Get the proper set up for what you want to use it for. It sounds like the dealer is more interested in making a specific sale over what "your" needs are. You'll here comments about I towed a 5,000 lb. whatever with no issues from Alaska to Hawaii, but there's a tow rating for a reason.

This^ makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
477 Posts
true, but how much of that rating is due to actual mechanical limitations ? the same driveline used in other vehicles is rated at much more towing weight.

YMMV

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
true, but how much of that rating is due to actual mechanical limitations ? the same driveline used in other vehicles is rated at much more towing weight.

YMMV
Yes, primarily as a result of the wheel base. That's why an Unlimited, given the same drivetrain set up, is rated at an additional 1,500 lb. tow capacity unless it has 3.21's. It seems like the numbers are conservative, but "limits" are usually conservative when it comes to vehicles. A lot of engineers with a lot of degrees have come up with the max limits primarily based upon a JK's wheelbase, drivetrain, suspension and braking. I can understand that those limits are difficult to accept at times, but that's why they build Ram 1500's. For a dealer or dealer rep. to insinuate that a JK with certain equipment can "tow anything", IMO is irresponsible.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've been towing a 3300GVWR Tent Trailer.

I have 3.21 gears, 35" tires and a 3.6L in my 2012 JKUS.

It tows fine in Mountains, street etc. The crusing is really good at highway speeds (obviously with 3.21).

I'm very happy with the setup. It doesn't take off like a porsche, but it's a Jeep to begin with.

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
true, but how much of that rating is due to actual mechanical limitations ? the same driveline used in other vehicles is rated at much more towing weight. YMMV
their suspension is set up totally different. Plus I have the theory that the vehicle requires a significant amount of that engine power and gearing just to push its parachute like aerodynamics through the air at 70plus mph

·
Registered
615 Posts
Your dealer is an idiot. Your Jeep is rated for 2000 lbs. Remember to subtract for any weight of passengers and cargo inside the vehicle which means closer to 1500 lbs is the most you should tow.

Yes, you can hitch up and move the weight. The bigger problem is stopping it, and long term wear and tear. For occasional towing, meaning 5-6 days a year, not 5-6 days a month you'd probably get away with more, not nearly double what it is rated for. For towing as much as you're thinking about I strongly suggest not going over about 75-80 % of the max. I'd want a vehicle rated for at least 5000 lbs if I were planning on pulling 3000 lbs that often.

Stuff doesn't break after a few uses. But you'll see transmission, and other drive train failures at much earlier intervals.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Sure it can tow that - but like they've said above, do you want to take the chance that a dealer won't cover you later? With how many stories about how dealers hassle Jeep owners I wouldn't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My yaris is not rated by toyota to tow anything in the US, 700 lbs in canada and 1500 lbs in the UK. Same exact car. Are there strange gravitational forces in effect in America forcing lower tow ratings for vehicles ?

i'm not recommeneding anyone do anything stupid and try and tow 3x the rated capacity, but merely pointing out that the ratings are quite conservative and you arent going to blow the trans or fly off the road if you are close or just over the max.

Anyway your results may vary.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The difference is export vehicles for the most part have heavy duty brakes as opposed to the US versions. Suspension upgrades would also result in the additional 800 lbs. from the Canadian version. I don't follow the details on a Yaris. The European spec. JK's have a heavy duty braking system; larger front rotors & calipers. There could be more. US gravitational forces most likely aren't factored in.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
IMO get the gears. Why risk it?

The height of a cargo trailer and the wind resistance it creates you'll need them.

Trailer 6x10 @ 3500 lbs.
I've towed it with my old '13 Jeep/ 3.73, 6 speed manual. And my new '14 Jeep/4.10 auto. And the '14 Jeep with 37s/ 3.54 effective ratio.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The difference is export vehicles for the most part have heavy duty brakes as opposed to the US versions. Suspension upgrades would also result in the additional 800 lbs. from the Canadian version. I don't follow the details on a Yaris. The European spec. JK's have a heavy duty braking system; larger front rotors & calipers. There could be more. US gravitational forces most likely aren't factored in.
from what i can tell the yari sold in the UK are identical to here. the fact that jeep sells JK's in some markets with heavier brakes is not a factor in that example.

anyway have a nice day.

·
Registered
991 Posts
While you might get away with the 3.21s, I will echo everyone else here and say if you havent bought it yet, to simply get the 3.73s since you have a need for them.

I am usually one of those yelling 3.21s are good enough, but if you know you are going to push it regularly before you buy it, get what you need. Yes you could get by, but I too would go with the 3.73s.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Always get the lower gears. You'll not regret it. I've driven Unlimited models with 3.21s and they do ok but I wouldn't want the trailer back there.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My yaris is not rated by toyota to tow anything in the US, 700 lbs in canada and 1500 lbs in the UK. Same exact car. Are there strange gravitational forces in effect in America forcing lower tow ratings for vehicles ?

i'm not recommeneding anyone do anything stupid and try and tow 3x the rated capacity, but merely pointing out that the ratings are quite conservative and you arent going to blow the trans or fly off the road if you are close or just over the max.

Anyway your results may vary.
We're the most litigious society on the planet. How is the insurance company going to like it when they find out the trailer weighs in at 50% above the vehicle's limit (or more!) after getting in an accident? How about the cops? How about the other party?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts