Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam entering a 4x4 race this saturday, iam told they made tight turns on the laps and i wanted to know of iam in 4H, clutch it and hand brake, will i hurt the transfer case? Rear tires will be completely blocked and front turning.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry Bransford said:
Pavement or dirt?
Dirt, its a desert offroad race. There is a lap and they time everyones lap. Also the reason i ask is because i have an auto locker in front and iam pretty sure it will not let me turn very well on tight turns with the 4H engaged.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump it back naybe someone could chime in. Thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,115 Posts
The transfer case won't have any issue at all with that, many run full-time in the dirt with their ARBs locked which turn the differentials into spools with no differentiating at all. Your front auto locker at least allows that to happen.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
The transfer case won't have any issue at all with that, many run full-time in the dirt with their ARBs locked which turn the differentials into spools with no differentiating at all. Your front auto locker at least allows that to happen.
he's talking about a "front dig" as far as I can tell. which needs you to disengage the rear axle drive from inside the cab using a twin-stick t-case (like an Atlas).

...personally, I'd rather finish the trail instead of grenading a u-joint or t-case.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,115 Posts
I dunno, his sig says his TJ is stock which means he doesn't have anything like an Atlas transfer case.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant figure out how to change my sig sorry about that. I have a stock transfer case, 4inch lift 33s and a front aussie locker. I wil try to explain m question, this race has loose sand, mud, high climbes and fast sections and tight turns. I have to have my 4 H engaged and my question is if i want to use my ebrake ( handbrake) on the tight turns, will i hurt my tcase? I will push the clutch in offcourse but the rear tires for the turn will be locked and front turning with 4h on, is that okay?

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Iam entering a 4x4 race this saturday, iam told they made tight turns on the laps and i wanted to know of iam in 4H, clutch it and hand brake, will i hurt the transfer case? Rear tires will be completely blocked and front turning.
How do you justify the potential for large amounts of damage you can't afford?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black Magic Brakes said:
How do you justify the potential for large amounts of damage you can't afford?
Why potential for large amounts of damage? Thats why i asked if they say the tcase will suffer i wont do it. Iam just tryng to find a style of driving to choose.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump up. Tomorrows the event. I need to knoww.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
you'll destroy stuff. what's to be confused about?
I didnt get a straight answer i thought nobody understood what i asked. Hehe. I always thought that you can handbrake while in 4h.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
You want the rear tires to stop and the front tires to go? Like mentioned, you'll either need to disco your rear drive somehow or you may break U-joints, Drive shaft, tail cone, TC gearing, Axles, brakes, etc... basically your wanting 1/2 your drive train to drive and 1/2 to stop.

Either something needs to be disconnected or you will violently disconect it at the weakest point.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

Here is an example of a power slide NOT using the brakes. You need to shift the weight of the jeep and remember to steer into your slide or you'll roll 'er right on the roof. This is where horsepower is your best friend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mp3uqIRfoo

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sevenservices said:
You want the rear tires to stop and the front tires to go? Like mentioned, you'll either need to disco your rear drive somehow or you may break U-joints, Drive shaft, tail cone, TC gearing, Axles, brakes, etc... basically your wanting 1/2 your drive train to drive and 1/2 to stop.

Either something needs to be disconnected or you will violently disconect it at the weakest point.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

Here is an example of a power slide NOT using the brakes. You need to shift the weight of the jeep and remember to steer into your slide or you'll roll 'er right on the roof. This is where horsepower is your best friend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mp3uqIRfoo
Yeah i got you, throwing the weight is no prob my other hobby is drifting, but in the last race i was a spectator and all the guys were ebrake into te turns on 4h and i thought that was wrong. Iam just afriad that on the tight turns my front locker will cause me to understeer. And the ebrake was my solution. I guess i will loose some time goin into turns but atleast my jeep wil be in one piece.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Moabrubi said:
Ehh.. SWB Jeep+handbrake turn+possible rut=Rollover
Hehe yeah i know but not when i bring the speed down a bit. Hehe just wanted to help my time a bit.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
TJ-Q8 said:
Hehe yeah i know but not when i bring the speed down a bit. Hehe just wanted to help my time a bit.
Best bet is ask the other guys racing and see what their set up is and if they do/don't rip the e-brake.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts