Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always stay in four high unless four low is required. But I read a comment on the forum recently that low speeds are best dealt with in four low or the torque converter will cause overheating.
I am generally wheeling at 8 to 10,000 feet, reasonably steep terrain, rocky, but not rock crawling. Average speed 5 to 10 miles an hour.
Four high works without issue or engine strain but I do note my temp runs a little high, although that seems to be a common phenomenon.
Thoughts? Should I be routinely running in four low?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, just recently saw the post suggesting this issue, and the trails are still snowed in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
you can get up to 20 mph in 4 lo shifting to higher gears (2nd or 3rd, depends on your t-case), not much faster though. Its more about consistency with the revs so its easier on the vehicle while making headway rather than revving up and down all the time. With 4 lo you can go at 5-10 mph but have the engine cruising like your going 80 on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Andy, just watch your transmission temps in 4H. If they are OK, and that's likely, don't worry about it. Try both 4H and 4L, and see which one is most comfortable for you.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts