Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so im sure ill get laughed at or teased a bit but i gotta ask im puttin my lift and tires and rims on very soon and i will start going muddin trail riding shortly after. What kind of stuff should i use 4hi and what stuff for 4lo?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
jake.carp said:
Okay so im sure ill get laughed at or teased a bit but i gotta ask im puttin my lift and tires and rims on very soon and i will start going muddin trail riding shortly after. What kind of stuff should i use 4hi and what stuff for 4lo?
If im driven down the trail just threw the woods I use 4h. If im drawing over rocks and threw ditches and stuff 4l. Its really a personal preference. Play with it a little bit and see what you like. Slipping the cluch is also a big factor

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
jake.carp said:
Yeah i wont be climbing rocks just mud and ditches but thanks its appreciated!:)
If im going threw mud sometimes ill put it in 4l if its not to deep or sticky just so I can crawl threw it lol. But like I said its kinda personal preference try both and see what works good for what your gonna do.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
When I first bought my jeep and started reading this forum I found out this. Go in in 2wd, come out in 4wd. I have since figured out what my jeep likes. It is different than my wife's TJ. For example. My jeep likes 4hi in mud. High RPM's type of stuff. My wife's jeep likes 4low. So to answer your question, wheel it and find out what your Jeep likes.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
rykemc said:
When I first bought my jeep and started reading this forum I found out this. Go in in 2wd, come out in 4wd. I have since figured out what my jeep likes. It is different than my wife's TJ. For example. My jeep likes 4hi in mud. High RPM's type of stuff. My wife's jeep likes 4low. So to answer your question, wheel it and find out what your Jeep likes.
That's a good point too. Find what your jeep likes!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My rule that I have learned and try to stick to from lessons in brush/forest firefighting..."If you need 4LO, then it's time to go"...But in all seriousness, I really don't like getting stuck, so I won't go any further on a mud trail if I am starting to get stuck in 4HI. However, in my little experience I have had with rocks, I find that the 4LO works great! That little 4.0L sure can put out some torque!

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
It is all a matter of learning to drive your rig with your mods. Use to be before my Jeep and it was P/Us in in 2 out in 4. I wouldn't take my trucks where i take my Jeep. You will have to experiment with your rig and figure oit out but you will get some good advice. Happy trails!!!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My .02 if your going to need wheel spin to keep tires clean then 4H. Soft sand I suggest 4h to keep momentum going. Other then that 4L but every jeep is different. SO experimenting is what I suggest. For me my jeep never sees 4H with 10 different forward low range gears I got a huge selection to choose from.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I've only had to use 4lo a few times, typically in big mud or if going down a slippery/clay surface. I stay in 4hi as soon as I'm off road and that seems to work just fine.

Denis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts