Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and still trying to figure it out so i'll cut to the chase. I have a 2002 wrangler sport on 33 13.50 toyo mt's I have the 3:73 gears in it and am trying to find out if I should go with the 4:27;s or the 4:56 gears. I really want to improve gase milage cause i'm getting about 10 or 11 miles to the gallon. It also is slugish going up hills on the highway. I do go off road cuase its a jeep and thats what its made for but I want a good middle of the road "factoy" style gearing for what I have on it. Also Is it worth it to install myslef?is it hard? or should I just take it to the shop that qouted me around 1200$ for gears installed? Please help..

·
Knows a couple things...
49,494 Posts
Edit: If you have the standard 4-speed automatic (no 5-speed automatic is available in a TJ) you want no less than 4.88 for 33's but I personally would go with 5.13. The 42RLE 4-speed automatic transmission's .69 Overdrive ratio drops the highway engine RPM's so low that you need a deeper ratio like at least 4.88 to get the RPM's up to where the engine is operating more efficiently.

You'll also get better mpg with 4.88 or 5.13 than you would with 4.56.

I have the same engine and 4-speed automatic with 35's that I bought used with 4.88 gears. It never even got 12 mpg. I regeared it to 5.38 and my highway mileage immediately went up to 14.6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts