Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the trail and my jeep was stalling in 1st gear 4lo. Can someone point me in the right direction as to help fix this

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was stalling in 4lo in first gear when I hit obstacles. The entire day I had to feather my clutch which wore my leg out. I was thinking I have to increase my idle

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
That's not an idle problem. What tire size, axle ratio, engine size, and transmission type?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Look for the below tag on your axle's differential cover. If present, the tag will indicate the axle ratio. The tag in the below photo is indicating the axle has a 3.73 ratio.

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
That is 3.07. Are you giving it a little gas when encountering obstacles, or just trying to idle over them? That gear ratio was the highest ratio that Jeep made which isn't great for your 31" tires, but depending on what you are trying to go over, you should still not be killing your Jeep doing it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Yep 3.07 would be a very good reason it would struggle up obstacles. That's like trying to accelerate away from a stop in 3rd gear instead of 1st gear.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't blame the engine, you've gotta give it some gas to get over obstacles.
I have 33s and 3.07 (yes...I know, burn me at the stake) and I've never stalled going over something if I'm on the gas. You can't really go creepy crawly over things
But I guess it depends on how big this obstacle is

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't blaming the engine. I was just told that may be my problem. Thanks everyone for the help. Anyone know how much a re-gear costs roughly?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Roughly $1200-1500
But if you have the Dana 35, and they will be swapping all that already, why not upgrade the axle?
Find a 44 from a TJ Rubi, and you will save a bunch because that 44 will directly swap, you get better brakes, stronger diff, a locker, and you'd only have to regear the front axle.
Cost for that depends on the cost of the 44 you find, if you can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts