Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Was there a four speed auto made for the wangler 1998. TJ model ?
No, the 32rh was used from 1997-2002 then the 42rle was used in wranglers from 2003-2011. If you are interested in a 4spd auto swap in your 98, look into the AW4 swap from a cherokee XJ

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I would never swap the 42rle in. The 32rh is a great trans, and the AW4 is a popular swap as well although I have actually heard some bad things over the last year or for. Do your research. If you are simply trying to identify what transmission you have, the 3 speed 32rh has a lock up torque converter which can be confused for an OD or 4th gear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellows my brother has the car that i just bought and he thinks it has a four speed that why I was asking I will be picking her up next Friday week we are having a small problem with an oil leak on the trans with roadworthy seem to be leaking from a gasket , is the odrive operated bye switch or automatic ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellows my brother has the car that i just bought and he thinks it has a four speed that why I was asking I will be picking her up next Friday week we are having a small problem with an oil leak on the trans with roadworthy seem to be leaking from a gasket , is the odrive operated bye switch or automatic ?
Stupid question just read the tread converter lockup so it built in to. Sorry ,,,,

·
Registered
575 Posts
The 98 TJ w/4.0l engine & 3 speed trans has a lock up converter that is activated electronically with a servo inside the trans. Gives the impression that it shifts into a 4th speed <> 45/50 MPH. Still it will only get like 17 mpg.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
The 98 TJ w/4.0l engine & 3 speed trans has a lock up converter that is activated electronically with a servo inside the trans. Gives the impression that it shifts into a 4th speed <> 45/50 MPH. Still it will only get like 17 mpg.
Mine got 21 stock, I wouldn't put a label on the mileage a certain trans would get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts