Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday May 25th, 2014

07:30 am - Gather at Starbucks located at 3275 NW 29th Ave Portland Oregon 97210
08:00 am – Leave for Scappoose Fred Meyers

08:30 am – Gather at Fred Meyers located at 51501 Columbia River Hwy Scappoose Oregon 97056
09:00 am – Leave for the Beach Cruise.

This year’s 4th Annual Memorial Day Beach Run is going to be Sunday the 25th of May. This year we will be visiting the Oregon Beach’s. This is a fun family group run and all vehicles are well come.

We will have two places to meet this year.

First meeting place will be in the Portland Industrial area at Starbucks located at 3275 NW 29th Ave Portland Oregon 97210 (29th & Yeon).
From there we will drive to Scappoose Oregon via US30 to Fred Meyers located at 51501 Columbia River Hwy Scappoose Oregon 97056.

We will then drive to the Astoria Column and then make our way down the Oregon coast stopping at various spots, weather, size of the group, and time permitting.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like fun. I will try and make this one if I have the time off. Like I said in the other thread, I usually work weekends though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
high vis flags?
OHV stickers?
American flags?

Are we just doing a run down the beach? lunch on the beach? Stopped time for kids to unwind? I like the potential.. please explain it a little for us newbies

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
high vis flags?
OHV stickers?
American flags?

Are we just doing a run down the beach? lunch on the beach? Stopped time for kids to unwind? I like the potential.. please explain it a little for us newbies
Good questions, however, it all depends on the weather, the size of the group. On large group runs we do stop for rest breaks during the day. Lunch is difficult to stop and have in a group, so bring lunch or something to eat for the day. Where we eat will be deturmined by the group the day of the run.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure if we need a sticket where we're going... if we do here's what I've learned:

Class II ATV (Jeeps, Sand Rails, SUVs)
Operators with a suspended or revoked driver’s license may not operate any Class I, II, III, or IV ATV.

Operator requirements:
• Possess a valid driver license.
• Operators and passengers under 18 must wear a DOT approved helmet with the chin strap fastened (unless in a registered, street legal vehicle).
• Possess liability insurance on the vehicle (ref: ORS 806.012 & 806.020).
• Safety restraints must be worn by all occupants under 16.

Vehicles must have: (ref: OAR 735-116-0000)
• Class II ATV Sticker (Operating Permit)
• An operating muffler and exhaust system under 99db,** which prevents sparks
• Fire extinguisher
• Flag (Required when operating on sand)
• Roll bar or enclosed cab
• Seats and seat belts for driver and all passengers
• Windshield wipers (if equipped with a windshield)
• Headlights and taillights

During fire season vehicle operators must have:
• Shovel
• Fire extinguisher
For more detail and a complete list of requirements see OHV Equipment Requirements (p.15).

**In the Oregon Coast dunes, a vehicle’s muffler

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not sure if we need a sticket where we're going... if we do here's what I've learned:

Class II ATV (Jeeps, Sand Rails, SUVs)
Operators with a suspended or revoked driver’s license may not operate any Class I, II, III, or IV ATV.

Operator requirements:
• Possess a valid driver license.
• Operators and passengers under 18 must wear a DOT approved helmet with the chin strap fastened (unless in a registered, street legal vehicle).
• Possess liability insurance on the vehicle (ref: ORS 806.012 & 806.020).
• Safety restraints must be worn by all occupants under 16.

Vehicles must have: (ref: OAR 735-116-0000)
• Class II ATV Sticker (Operating Permit)
• An operating muffler and exhaust system under 99db,** which prevents sparks
• Fire extinguisher
• Flag (Required when operating on sand)
• Roll bar or enclosed cab
• Seats and seat belts for driver and all passengers
• Windshield wipers (if equipped with a windshield)
• Headlights and taillights

During fire season vehicle operators must have:
• Shovel
• Fire extinguisher
For more detail and a complete list of requirements see OHV Equipment Requirements (p.15).

**In the Oregon Coast dunes, a vehicle’s muffler
I'm guiding us to Astoria. No permits needed. Oregonwolf is then leading us to the Oregon Beaches, he says no permits needed. Good Question.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I will be joining you guys for this one. If the group is small enough we planning on doing some dune runs? If so, we need a high visibility flag, right?

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be joining you guys for this one. If the group is small enough we planning on doing some dune runs? If so, we need a high visibility flag, right?
My understanding is Oregonwolf is leading the Beach driving part of this run. You can PM (private message) him to confirm but I do not think we will need orange flags. We will not be out on the dunes but the beach driving area out of Warrenton Oregon.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I drive on the beach at Gearhart ( 6 mile stretch ) all the time with no flag. Police drive by and wave. But for sure at sandlakes, oregon dunes etc a flag as needed. Honestly never have driven in Washington on sand.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I drive on the beach at Gearhart ( 6 mile stretch ) all the time with no flag. Police drive by and wave. But for sure at sandlakes, oregon dunes etc a flag as needed. Honestly never have driven in Washington on sand.
Thank you for your experiences on that beach. We will be in that area.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE Information

07:30 am - Gather at Starbucks located at 3275 NW 29th Ave Portland Oregon 97210
08:00 am – Leave for Scappoose Fred Meyers

08:30 am – Gather at Fred Meyers located at 51501 Columbia River Hwy Scappoose Oregon 97056
09:00 am – Leave for the Beach Cruise.

This year’s annual Memorial Day Beach Run is going to be Sunday the 25th of May. This year we will be visiting the Oregon Beach from Warrenton, OR to Seaside, OR.

We will have two places to meet.

First meeting place will be in the Portland Industrial area at Starbucks located at 3275 NW 29th Ave Portland Oregon 97210 (29th & Yeon).

From there we will drive to Scappoose Oregon via US30 to Fred Meyers located at 51501 Columbia River Hwy Scappoose Oregon 97056.

We will then drive to the Astoria Column via back roads. At the Astoria Column we will take a group and scenic pictures. We will then drive to the Peter Iredale ship wreck located at Fort Stevens State Park. There we will have lunch and walk to the ship wreck. (Bring your lunch), afterwards we can drive the beach from Warrenton to Seaside.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Mark, what time do you think you will be at the Astoria Column? We will be camping at Fort Stevens and would like to meet up with everyone at the Column.
David

·
Registered
72 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts