Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesturday when I had my 4wd on and tried to make a tight turn the steering wheeling starting jerking and it felt like I was driving over pot holes on the road. But, the road was as smooth as can be. Is this normal? Is the turn radius decreased when 4wd is engaged? Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I noticed yesturday when I had my 4wd on and tried to make a tight turn the steering wheeling starting jerking and it felt like I was driving over pot holes on the road. But, the road was as smooth as can be. Is this normal? Is the turn radius decreased when 4wd is engaged? Thanks!
The jerking is your front U-joints binding. Don't put it in 4WD on the pavement. It will still jerk a bit in dry dirt but not as hard on them.
Again don't engage 4WD on the pavement.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The jerking is your front U-joints binding. Don't put it in 4WD on the pavement. It will still jerk a bit in dry dirt but not as hard on them.
Again don't engage 4WD on the pavement.
+1

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
yeah it will ruin the t case or wear out ur tires wicked fast, just dont do it, only in rain when it is hard to see iwht the winshieldwpes all the way on, o in snow that is up past the bottom of the rim

·
Registered
602 Posts
It will tear up the U-joints WAY before it hurts the T_case but it will tear up tires as well. I don't really think rain, even heavy, would be just cause on the road. Snow YES!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
My brother had the briliant idea to do a 4 wheel drive hole-shot with his V-6 68 CJ on dry pavement... He completely lunched the front differential....what a dumb ass!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
hmm weird i know with my cj if i leave it in 4wd drive on the road i know it (it just stops, locks up, engine cuts off, its lik esomeone pulled the emergency brake and pu tthe brakes to the floor at one time)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I believe the motor was a Buick V-6 (same block as the 80's Grand Nationals). I remember him telling me it had some head and induction work done to it...It was definately too much motor for that platform. It had a manual transmission too so maybe that's how he was able to break it lose on the pavement.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You can operate the 4WD on any surface including pavement. The trick is that you cannot make a turn in either direction with the 4WD engaged. One wheel has to be able to spin at a faster rate than the other wheel which is only possible if the hubs ae unlocked. That is why the u-joints bind up.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
no no no, thats would be true if the front and rear gear ratio were the same, but its not, your front tires will still chirp b/c thefront ratio is .01 more than the rear!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was raining very hard and the streets were starting to flood so I thought Id be safe and turn on 4wd. Do I still not need 4wd in these conditions? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I's binding at the transfer case, when you turn the front tires need to travel farther than the rear tires.
Unless you have a locker in your front end it should act no differently than your rear end when turning.

BTW, no, I wouldn't ever use 4 wheel drive in rain unless I were floating down the road and needed to climb a hill to get out. 4 wheel drive gives you added traction to move forward or reverse, you sacrifice handling for that traction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts