Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 JKU with a 5 inch lift and 35's. Recently I started hearing this clicking noise when I put it in 4wd and turn. Its not my tires rubbing on something, I cant find exactly where its coming from but its not a good noise for sure. Any ideas?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 2007 JKU with a 5 inch lift and 35's. Recently I started hearing this clicking noise when I put it in 4wd and turn. Its not my tires rubbing on something, I cant find exactly where its coming from but its not a good noise for sure. Any ideas?
Are you running a stock front driveshaft?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Right or left universal joint would be my first guess.

Total bitch to remove the stock u-joints from the axle BTW.......Chrysler used some rust in place inside clip that cannot be removed without a hydraulic press.

I just took both of my front shafts out of the axle and had pep Boys press in some stronger u-joints from Northridge 4x4. Well worth the $75 in labor.

·
Registered
296 Posts
With a lift that big, you're putting a lot of stress on the stock driveshaft which will cause it to go out soon, if the boot is torn and you're seeing grease splatted already, it's time to replace it because it will be gone soon enough anyways

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of axle u-joints. The jeep is old(mine is same age) and front u-joints wear out from lots of use. That lift does scream for a new driveshaft though

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of axle u-joints. The jeep is old(mine is same age) and front u-joints wear out from lots of use. That lift does scream for a new driveshaft though
That's what's really making me lean towards the driveshaft being the issue, that massive lift

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I have not been near a computer for a while. I crawled under and took a picture of the CV joints and the front one had a ton of grease spatter, so now what?

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yup classic sign the joint is starting to fail. Might be thinking of rebuild kit from Crown auto $120. Or a new
Double Cardin DS..

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Look at both pictures of the front shaft above. The first shows a little splatter then yours shows a lot. The clicking sound that accompanies it also mean you need a new front drive shaft. Tom woods 1310 with spicer joint $500 plus labor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes! That's the same sound. So if you don't mind me asking, how much was the fix for this?
$85 replacement part off ebay and the time and effort was all me lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had this same problem!! Ordered a new front driveshaft from quadratec. Only problem is I see them advertised at being beefy and silver. The driveshaft I received is skinny and black. Has anyone else noticed this? Did I get Dana spicer instead of tom woods?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts