Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1989 YJ at an auction and after having it for a week I can tell that it is going to take some time to get everything working up to snuff. My current issue is last night I shifted the jeep from 2wd down to Neutral. All I was doing was really just making sure I didn't have any issues here... Obviously I do, as it is now frozen in Neutral. The physically the shifter will not shift in either direction now. Luckily this happened in my garage. Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
157 Posts
4WD shift pattern:

all the way forward- 2wd

back 1 position-4wd-hi

then you have to move it to the right and move back 1 position to neutral

back 1 position from there 4wd-low

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. I am pushing on the shifter handle with a fair amount of force forward back into gear. To the point where I am concerned about breaking it. I have tried this while in both Neutral and in park.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just wanted to make sure that you knew it has to move sideways to get in and out of neutral.

BTW, mine was initially frozen (rusted) in 2WD.

Took a fair of beating / heat by my mechanic (from underneath) to free it.

Previous owner actually broke the shift knob off where the threaded part emerges from the shifter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did know that it needed to go sidways, but I will give that another try this evening. My shifter lever also basically came off the lower part of the assembly. I can get it to slide back over it but it won't stay. I was trying to pre-drill 2 holes and secure the 2 part with two heavy duty screws. However, the metal the the lower piece of the assembly is made out of some very strong steel.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have you tried pushing the jeep a slight bit an thn shifting? It might have a slight bit of pressure keeping everything from meshing up. It's a long shot, but free and easy to try.
Also, crawl under and make sure the linkage is not bent or out of place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm betting it's bound from sitting, it was locked in 4WD and when you shifted it you broke something. Has the Jeep been sitting a while?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually had just been driving it. However, it is likely that the 2wd/4wd was set in that same position for quite some time. It shifted very easily from in gear back into Neutral. I really appreciate all your input. I want to get home tonight and give this another try taking into account what each of you said. I will get a couple of pics of the shifter and the lower assembly and the way it looks as though it is supposed to clip together.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Shift it while in Neutral not in Park. good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts