Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to have my 97 TJ regeared, and i've been looking to have the 4wd hardware guys do it for me. Anyone here have anything installed by them? I would be going to the Ohio store.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,617 Posts
Any 4x4 shop will only be as good as their ring & pinion gear guy is. If their R&P guy is experienced and has a good reputation, go for it. My only caution is that in my personal opinion, 4WP usually overcharges to do jobs like that. If you're only having a basic ring & pinion gear installation and they want more than $1300-1400 at the most, pass or insist on a better price before you sign. My first R&P cost me just over $1300 and my last one when I negotiated harder was just under $1100 with all parts, labor, and tax included. And that was using major brand parts, not the cheaper Genuine Gear or G2 house gear brand that 4WP pushes.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Just to point out Jerry's reply. I asked about a SYE install at the Oklahoma City store, and they quoted $1000 to install. Not to buy and install, just to install. I told them "Nevermind".

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my gears, locker and install kit yesterday. Randy's ring and pinion. Can't wait to have it installed. I have a buddy at work that also has his own shop on the side and he is going to install it for me.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The labor is obnoxiously high at 4wd in Raleigh good group of guys just high...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the gears installed, everything is good but my buddy said that the front drive shaft was very tight, as in it needs shortened. He said that would probably reduce or eliminate the vibration that I have. I have noticed that it does come from the front and not the rear like everyone else experiences. What do you all recommend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention I have a 4" lift and running 33" tires. It does have a small spacer kit on the belly pan, about 1 1/2".

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also selling my old ring and pinions and cases with spider gears, I'll post them on here as soon as I have enough posts to list them in the for sale section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts