Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometimes when I put my jeep in 4WD it sometimes gets stuck. What I mean by that is I can't shift it back to 2WD. I have no clue if it's just me or something with the 4WD

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar problem... Dealer has a software update to address this problem. I found after being in 4low, I could not go into 4hi or 2wd after a while. It seemed to be in neutral or 4th gear and required turning the ignition off and to restart to resume. I found related information here...
Don't know if this describes your trouble or not.
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2011-2016 Grand Cherokee Service Bulletins and Recalls
So sometimes when I put my jeep in 4WD it sometimes gets stuck. What I mean by that is I can't shift it back to 2WD. I have no clue if it's just me or something with the 4WD

·
Registered
485 Posts
There is a lot of force on the gears in 4wd with the front wheels turned. This makes it hard to move the shifter.

Assuming you are shifting from 4lo to 2hi:

Make sure you are rolling slowly and coasting, (2 or 3 mph approx), put in the clutch or shift the auto to neutral if possible. Have the front wheels pointing straight ahead. It should slip right out. Try not to stop the transfer case shifter in neutral if the tranny is in neutral, just make a smooth shift to 2wd high from 4wd low

If you are going to be stopped when shifting, point the wheels straight before you stop.

If shifting from 4hi to 2hi, just ease off the throttle while driving along. You can put light pressure on the shifter as you ease the throttle and it will come right out.

·
Super Moderator
9,115 Posts
Like everyone said: rolling forward at 2-3 MPH is the best.

Also, I find the transfer case in my Rubicon much harder to engage than that in my Sahara. I suspect it has to do with the higher transfer case ratio putting more pressure on the Rubicon gears.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Usually I'm at a complete stop when I try to shift back to 2WD. I'll just coast it a little next time I use 4WD

·
Registered
615 Posts
Unless you are shifting into, or out of low range you should be able to do it at any speed up to about 50 mph. Maybe more, I'm not sure. If going into, or out of low range it is easier if the vehicle is rolling slightly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts