Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, when I drive on a bumpy road or hit a bump, my 4WD light comes on. It'll go on and off continuously. I assume there's a sensor somewhere that's being hit, but I have no idea where it is. Is there one and how can I adjust it? Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Defcon 1 said:
Hey guys, when I drive on a bumpy road or hit a bump, my 4WD light comes on. It'll go on and off continuously. I assume there's a sensor somewhere that's being hit, but I have no idea where it is. Is there one and how can I adjust it? Thanks.
Im guessin its a yj correct? Its in your c.a.d( central axle disconnect) in your front axle. In that small box on the passenger side. Ive had the manual engagement for sometime (posi lok) thats where the button sensor is with that setup. Im pretty sure thats where it is stock. Open it up and take a look, ur shift fork might not be moving completely over where it should. R u having any problems stayin in 4wd or 2wd?that vacuum setup is pretty terrible in my experience. Google posi-lok manual engagement, been workin great for me!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a '91 with Ax-5. I don't think I explained this correctly it has nothing to do with actually going into 4WD, it's an indication problem only. It goes into 4wd no problem. I'm talking about how I'm in 2wd and my 4wd light indicator goes on and off as I hit bumps along the way. It's not actually going into 4wd, it just indicates that it does.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The NP231 has a 4 outlet switch on it. Located near the output yoke to the front driveshaft. Where the vacuum is routed to the front axle to engage the split shaft.

My problem wasn't at the transfer case, it was a wire behind the dash...but if you'd ever seen my dash you'd understand that better.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
USMC 0369 said:
The NP231 has a 4 outlet switch on it. Located near the output yoke to the front driveshaft. Where the vacuum is routed to the front axle to engage the split shaft.

My problem wasn't at the transfer case, it was a wire behind the dash...but if you'd ever seen my dash you'd understand that better.
Do you know if the switch is adjustable? Like is it able to be shimmied up/down? It acts like it is just close enough and when it vibrates it completes the circuit sending power to the lightbulb in the dash. Or is the switch burnt out and it's shorting out when I hit that bump?

Also, when I'm in 4wd, the light comes on and stays on entirely. When I go to 2wd, the 4wd disengages and the light goes off, it's just when I hit a bump in the road that it comes on for a second or two, then goes off and on intermittently.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Its more likely you have a wiring issue, the light circuit just completes a ground. Check for bare wires and if everything is ok then look to the switch on the CAD. It could be making contact internally as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts