Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 TJ and when shifting into 4wd Lo it slips out of 4wd Lo. I did some research and have been told I can adjust the linkage or replace. Is it necessary to replace or can I adjust the linkage and save $86 on the TerraFlex part? Any suggestions on how to adjust. YouTube vids or pics would be greatly appreciated. I also have a 3.5 lift with 18" rims on 305/70/18.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
gazillion threads on that subject. do a search, you will even find pics and a hundred ways to adjust or simply get a Novak cable shifter (or something similar)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if all it needs usually is an adjustment as I have read but also read people replacing the linkage which seems overkill. Thanks though.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Take a 1/2" wrench under your Jeep, from the rear driver's side of the t-case skid reach up and loosen the adjustment bolt on the shift linkage. Then make sure the t-case is in 2 wd, and the shift lever is in the fully forward position, and tighten the bolt.

The Novak or Savvy cable is a great way to go if you have the extra $'s and use 4wd a lot. It get's rid of all the crazy "z" linkage the factory installed and works so much smoother and without maintenance issues. Plus it's good for body lifts, tummy tucks, etc. because it doesn't care what the relationship between the t-case and body are like the mechanical linkage.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is how mine has been. If your linkage looks anything like mine, I would go ahead and adjust for now but plan on getting the cable shifters they mentioned above. A couple weeks ago I thought I wouldn't need to do it but then I put my lift and when I went to mess with the linkage, I realized what a piece of junk it actually is. Last thing I want is to be wheeling somewhere or out in this snow and have my 4wd go out :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate all the help. I am going to adjust then order part for full time fix. Going out to the trails and want to have 4wd Lo just in case. Never really use. The v6 beast through usually.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Guess mines rare I got a inline 6.. lol

I used to give people a hard time over my last bike to, people always wanted to say v6.. I would say no its a flat 6.. honda valkyrie..

I now have an inline 4.. honda blackbird

1 - 10 of 10 Posts