Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post so I'll try not to sound like too much of a fool ;)

Just picked up a 95 four banger with 140,000 miles on it. It's got a nice little lift, and some mud/snow tires (31s I think?). Anyways, I have two issues with the 4wd that may or may not be related...

When I throw it into 4wd, it takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds to engage. Doesn't matter if I am in motion or parked. Takes about just as long to disengage as well. I think this may be a vacuum hose leak, from everything that I've read.

The bigger and more pressing issue is the noise that it makes. Whenever I am driving in 4H, no mater how fast or what RPMs im at, it will make a random click sound that comes from underneath the Jeep somewhere. It is not tied to any sort of rythym with the engine; it just happens sporadically. When it does, the Jeep jerks a little bit, just for a split second. The 4wd light stays on the whole time, and there is no indication that it is taking itself out of gear.

What do you guys think? Anyone experience anything similar? We had our first snow this morning in the NC mountains (it can get pretty bad up here) so I'd like to knock this out ASAP...

TIA

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does it make the noise only when moving? I would check the front axle u joints. They can make quite a racket if they are well past their life span.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep only while moving.. How would I go about checking those joints? More importantly, is it something I can ignore or need to do before it gets worse?

I was listening to the noise on the ride home today (we got about 6 inches of snow and I had to use 4wd to get up the mountain) and I guess it's more of a bang. It's loud and noticeably jolts the Jeep.

So you don't think it'd be connected to the vac leak?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
It is probably losing its contact or lock in the front axle and with a vacuum leak in the CAD it could do it repeatedly. It would be something to fix if that's what it is becasue it will wear the locking collar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I fired it up this morning with about 8" of snow in my driveway. Vacuum wouldn't hold more than a couple seconds and the 4wd just would not engage... took an hour to get off the mountain and ended up wrecking hard in a ditch... Everybody (including the Jeep) is ok, but I'm bringing it in to a local mechanic today... Gonna start with vac hose replacement and hopefully that'll solve it. I'll keep you guys updated, and thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Are you trying the 4WD on a hard high traction surface (pavement, concrete)? If so, you're probably hearing the system bind up, eventually one tire will chirp as it relieves the stress from the system.

Secondly, you're going to need to find the leak in your vacuum lines to get the 4WD to engage/disengage. It could potentially be the shift fork disengaging and re-engaging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes a lot of sense. Originally it was on high traction surface (just to test it out). Hopefully the vac leak will solve it. Any guesstimate on what that should cost to have the leak fixed at the shop? To do it myself would mean laying in snow and I really don't feel comfortable messing with it right now...

·
Registered
27 Posts
sounds like your central axle disconnect is acting up. i had an issue with mine, had great vac, but the fork would not hold the collar over to keep the axles locked. I removed the entire system and put a cherokee axle in it. (one piece) no more noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts