Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through a mud hole in 4hi. When I got out of the hole I heard and could feel some clunking and banging in the front end somewhere. I shifted it out of 4hi back to 2 wd and the noises ceased. Later on there was a small hill so I put it back in 4hi and at first the bangs and clunks were not there but as I started to climb the sandy hill they came back. When I got home I went to a nearby two track to test it out again. I engaged 4 hi and at first no noises. But, eventually I heard them. It sounds like a clunk and then it also fealt like something catching or binding somewhere.

Here is what I am thinking it could be. U-joints in front drive shaft, broken axle shaft, or blown up front dif. I would like some input from people with more experience than I have. What should I look at first, what should I replace first, what kind of diagnostic stuff can I do to figure out what it is or figure out what it isn't by ruling out some things?

My Jeep is an 01 Wrangler with 4.0 and 5 speed trans. It has Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear with 3.73. As far as I know everything in the area is stock. The only real mods are a 2.5 inch lift with 31 inch tires.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Welcome! Start by making sure Your front Ujoint is still in working order. The clunking points to that. If it was the front diff, it would happen all the time because the wheels still turn the gears. The Ujoints will only be put under stress when in 4wd.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am going to start with the u joints. Now just to find the time.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so I checked the u joints on the front axle and front driveshafts. There is no play in any of them. After I last was able to reproduce the noise the only thing I have done is wash it then it has sat in the garage all week. I had a buddy go out with me today to walk next to me and listen for where the noise is coming from. The problem is now there is no noise. I mean I guess now I don't have a problem, but it seems weird that now it is not making the noise. I drove it for about 20 minutes down a two track and even through some mud holes and no noise. What do you think? Could it be something with transfer case or front diff? Water in something? Chain slippage in tc? I am stumped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts