Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used 4hi on my way to work today on an icy road and then shortly after switched back to 2wd and proceeded on my way when maybe 100 ft after shifting i heard a "pop" and could feel it under the jeep. This happened again on the way home when i decided to play a little in the snow. Sooo i went into a parking lot and put her in 4hi and drove around a little then back to 2 hi and low and behold she doesnt seem to go back into 2wd for a little.....wtf? :banghead:

btw, this was all on ice and snow :rolleyes: im no idiot lol
also i use 4wd both hi and low regularly as i try to go wheelin with some buddies almost every weekend and have never had a problem....oh the frustration lol

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also....(god im being a rater tonight lol :D)

Am i the only one who has to shift to neutral to keep the Jeep from locking up the front tires lol im thinking maybe a break balance issue???

·
Registered
892 Posts
when you shift on the move you need to get off the throttle pedal for the 4WD to disengage.
also locking up front brakes is normal since most of the braking power is at the front.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Sometimes things are just under too much tension to release immediately...that's why a lot of people will actually stop and put it in 2wd and then back up about 15 ft to release all the tension so it'll fully disengage. Mine will disengage fine on the fly as long as I let off the gas and keep my wheels straight but everyone's Jeeps are different.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
It's normal that it may not disengage right away. My Durango is the same way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm guessing your tires are not new. Tires don't wear evenly and after a while, the front or the rears will be a different size. This causes different drive shaft speeds in 2wd. When in 4wd, the drive shafts must turn the same speed, putting a lot of force on the transfer case gears. The shift fork is moved to 4wd via the shift lever, but is returned to 2wd by a spring. The more the tires are unevenly worn, the harder it is for the spring to overcome the friction between the gears. If your rears are more worn, a turn should help it shift back to 2. If your fronts are more worn, you will probably need to stop and reverse, or just wait for the spring. Good Luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm new to Jeeps but not to 4WD vehicles. Every vehicle I have ever had and still own require you to put the vehicle in reverse to disengage the 4wd mode, be it in 4Hi or 4Lo. My 2010 F150 is the same way. Some times, I need to back up twice to disengage. Each time I will back up at least 25 to 30 feet, and if you're on a hill, it may even need more. The same goes for my 97 TJ which I just got through driving up & down our mountain home in NC. My F250 diesel, Silverado K1500, and Bronco are all the same way. By the way, I think the popping noise is the U-joints loading up and unloading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts