Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend i went to a cabin with friends and om the dirt road i used 4wd. Well i forgot to take it out of 4wd so when i went on thr main road i drove around 55 for a couple of miles and then did a u turn. That is where i knowticed somethkng was wrong. Do you think i broke something or am i just paranoid that i did.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Probably not. In the turn it felt "jerky" correct? If you didn't hear anything snap I think you are fine.

Find a dirt road, put it in 4WD and test.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Hard to say if you broke something or not. 2 miles typically isn't that bad, although the U turn is bad.

If something broke, usually it's in the transfer case.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You'd have to really push it to break something. The driveline isn't as fragile as some might make you think.

Especially if you're running stock tires.

That being said. It's not a good idea to run 4wd on hard surfaces. Chances are you didn't even need 4wd on the dirt road you were on.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The Wrangler 4wd system is a part-time system- you'll want to ensure you have some slip on the road surface when engaged so the components don't bind (like snow, ice, sand, gravel, mud etc.). The Jeep will feel like it is binding left/right when going in something other than a straight line when driven on a surface without that wheel slip.

As others have said, find a suitable surface and re-engage 4 high to test and ensure it performs normally, and test drive on the road in 2wd to ensure there are no abnormal noises.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
So this weekend i went to a cabin with friends and om the dirt road i used 4wd. Well i forgot to take it out of 4wd so when i went on thr main road i drove around 55 for a couple of miles and then did a u turn. That is where i knowticed somethkng was wrong. Do you think i broke something or am i just paranoid that i did.
You're being paranoid. If the Jeep 4x4 system was that fragile would we use it off road? There are those that will preach fear and claim you should put it in an out of 4x4 even on patchy snow covered roads. Think about that for a minute, traveling just 40 mph you're moving almost 60 FEET PER SECOND... There's no way you could shift back an forth fast enough or safely to adjust for road conditions. Use it when you need or when you feel you need it, your Jeep will be fine!

I wheel in rocks, aired down to 5 psi, in 4x4 and Locked, crawling at less than 3 mph and have yet to "destroy" any part of my 4x4 system... The rolling resistance on the road is far less in 4wd than when crawling over rocks, aired down and locked etc.
You're Jeep is fine, ignore the fear mongers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am in Colorado and drive in a lot of ice/snow. Sometimes the road conditions go quickly from icy to dry especially on interstates. I keep it in 4wheel high if I suspect snow or ice along the way. Never been an issue on my 2011 with 56,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
You're being paranoid. If the Jeep 4x4 system was that fragile would we use it off road? There are those that will preach fear and claim you should put it in an out of 4x4 even on patchy snow covered roads. Think about that for a minute, traveling just 40 mph you're moving almost 60 FEET PER SECOND... There's no way you could shift back an forth fast enough or safely to adjust for road conditions. Use it when you need or when you feel you need it, your Jeep will be fine!

I wheel in rocks, aired down to 5 psi, in 4x4 and Locked, crawling at less than 3 mph and have yet to "destroy" any part of my 4x4 system... The rolling resistance on the road is far less in 4wd than when crawling over rocks, aired down and locked etc.
You're Jeep is fine, ignore the fear mongers.
Listen to what this man ^^^^ has to say. There was a time when 1/2 ton trucks were full time 4x4 and only used 44 front axles and never had a minutes trouble on the highway. Asphalt or concrete won't hurt these things. The lack of mechanical knowledge from some is amazing. If they were going to break that easy they would be too junky to own.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Your Jeep will be just fine, relax and enjoy the weekend.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
I quite agree with Sinister6. While I certainly wouldn't recommend 4wd on dry pavement all the time, the worst you'll do in that condition is some extra tire wear on the turns and chew up a bunch of gas. It's not the end of the world.

These things are not that delicate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts