Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you guys. I went to shift into 4WD today and the shifter moved as if it wasn't connected to anything. I've gone into 4WD before, perhaps two weeks ago, just fine. The shifter just slides all the way down to where 4L should be with no change in actual driving of the jeep. I have an 09 rubicon by the way. Any ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could be one of the plastic connectors that hold the cable on has broke. You Have one at the shift lever and one at the t-case. If you search 4wd problems you will get links with the part number and they're only about 70 cents apiece.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Yep, Mike is correct. You probably broke the plastic grommet that attaches the cable linkage to the shifter. Or you may have broken the plastic ring or retainer clip that connects the other end of the linkage to the transfer case.
I've been there, done that. I was in 4lo when I broke it. Fortunatly I had just viewed a thread on the forum about this problem. Crawled under the jeep and moved the T-case lever foreward into 2wd. And it was no easy task. It's very tight quarters to get your hand up there. It's a very weak link. Keep a pair of channel locks and a 2ft peice of cord to loop around the lever, then u can pull the cord and move the lever instead of jamming your hand up there and getting burnt on the exahaust pipes.
Be sure to be a bit more gentle next time and try to be rolling slowly so the gears mesh easier.
I also have an 09. It's covered under your 5 yr 50,000 mile powertrain warranty if you're with in those parameters. Once I'm out of the warranty I'll fix it myself. Doesn't look too difficult, but time consuming.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an 09 X, same thing happened to me the first day I got it. My dad had told me to go ahead and test it to make sure it would go into 4lo and high, went into high fine. Had troubles shifting into lo. Didn't seem right to have to pull harder, so I stopped pulling but not soon enough. The plastic ring popped off the shifter. The shifter appeared to be able to go from 2 to 4lo with no force at all. Also would not drive anymore. I should have read the manual about being in neutral before shifting into 4lo. :facepalm:

I was able to take one screw out of the panel and reach my hand up and slide the plastic ring back onto the shifter.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Could be one of the plastic connectors that hold the cable on has broke. You Have one at the shift lever and one at the t-case. If you search 4wd problems you will get links with the part number and they're only about 70 cents apiece.
Part #68064273AA.
Yup. Good idea to buy extras, and carry em in your glove box. Doesn't take much to break one.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you are still under the 3 yr/ 36 k mile warranty, have the dealer fix it. Ask to watch what the tech does so you can fix it next time.

My 2010 was broken straight off the showroom floor. Fixed under warranty in about 15 minutes.

YMMV

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts