Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just checked the CAD again. It is working fine and locking in 4wd. With passenger wheel jacked up, the drive shaft won't turn unless I turn the wheel by hand. Have also checked and adjusted linkage. Shifts smoothly into 4wd with no noise. Light comes on too. Everything seems good except the drive shaft not turning. Have also drained the t case to check for metal shavings. Nice and clean and stuck my finger in also to feel around. YJ has 117,00 miles and has been driven by a woman since 94. Prob only been in 4wd a handful of times during snowy conditions. Any ideas or suggestions on any other things I can check would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid replacing t case until I'm confident I have checked everything else first.:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I do replace the t case, is there anyway I can check the chain first without parts flying everywhere when it's opened. My husband says we DO NOT want to crack it open. I'm not sure if I would be better getting a rebuilt one or getting mine fixed. Any input on this would be appreciated too. Thanks!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just rebuilt my t case hade some issues with it shifting in 4 wheel. IMO I you tubed it and watched a guy rebuild one from start to finish . Not much to it at all. Bought my parts from 4 wheel hardware. Now it works great.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tearing open the t-case isn't a bad thing. Shit doesn't fly out everywhere, and it's not even that difficult to tear down completely and put back together. All you need is some basic metric sockets, and some snap ring pliers.

My ZJ has the 249 xfer case. I went to a local you-pick junkyard and got another 249 for about $40. (I checked a couple days before I went, and did find one that had the 231, but when I went back someone had already got it) The new 249 had a shorter input shaft on it, so I had to tear my old one down to change input shafts. After spending about 10 minutes online watching some yo yo tear it apart, I grabbed an exploded diagram of the xfer case, then went to work. Tear it down slowly, get familiar with the part and where it goes/came from, and lay everything down in front of you in order. To change the input shaft you have to literally tear it all down from back to front. I was able to see what broke in my old one, catch anything I was uncomfortable about in my new one, and since they were cheap I went ahead and replaced all the seals. Basically when I was done, I had a newer (mine was a 95, I got this one from a 97) better, stronger xfer case, AND I was familiar with how it operates. Been driving it hard for a year and a half now, and it hasn't giving me any problems :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't think you should be able to turn the jacked up wheel if you are in 4wd unless the transfer case isn't engaged properly, should you? Unless the Jeep is in neutral......

·
Registered
259 Posts
And a back wheel off the ground as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
goatman said:
And a back wheel off the ground as well.
Correct. I jacked mine up today, front passenger and rear passenger, started the jeep, put it in 4WD, put it in first gear and let the clutch out just a little. Both passenger side wheels started pulling. That's all I needed to make sure it was engaging. Not the best way, but it worked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it was in neutral. We had already checked by trying to climb a grassy hill by the pond. My husband was looking under the jeep while I was driving and only back wheels were spinning. Drive shaft and fronts were not. Looks like I'm about to see what the inside of my t case looks like. I think I'm up for trying this????? If I can't fix it I will be getting a rebuilt one. How hard can it be, right? Might as well give it a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts