Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this so all please bare with me probably a dumb question but i have no clue. Ok so for 4wd when do i use 4hi and when do i use 4lo. Whats the difference?
Thanks
TJ

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
You use 4hi when you're on a slick surface and need more traction (ex. Enough snow that you can't see pavement, wet grass, mud, slick rock, etc). 4hi has a 1:1 ratio, this means that the input from the transmission and output from the transfer case (your driveshafts) spin at the same speed. 4lo uses gear reduction to reduce the speed of the output shaft to either 2.73:1 if you have a Wrangler X, Sport, or Sahara, and 4:1 if you have a Rubicon. What this reduced speed does is multiply torque, allow increased control by being able to move slower, and the slower speed reduces the chance of tire slippage. Use 4lo when you need very precise movements or need to move very slow off road on technical trails or when crawling on some rocks or even crossing water. I can't think of a single situation besides perhaps pulling someone out of a ditch when you would need 4lo on road. Also I should mention that when shifting into 4lo you must either be still or rolling 1-3mph, disconnect power to the transfercase by placing the transmission in neutral or clutching in,then pull from 4hi through N to 4lo. This is just a quick over view but I hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
^ That pretty well covers it in a nutshell.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Noob question again....since I have not even had the chance of using 4wd on my jk yet...where is neutral on the tcase? Between 2hi and 4hi?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
NFRs2000NYC said:
Noob question again....since I have not even had the chance of using 4wd on my jk yet...where is neutral on the tcase? Between 2hi and 4hi?
I'm assuming its the same pattern as my TJ. If so its one pull up to go into 4hi, then you move the lever to the right to clear the "nib" or whatever, once it clears the nib you're in neutral I'm pretty sure. from there one pull up is 4lo. There should be a visual on your shifter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NFRs2000NYC said:
The neutral is between 4hi and 4lo

·
Registered
433 Posts
You use 4hi when you're on a slick surface and need more traction (ex. Enough snow that you can't see pavement, wet grass, mud, slick rock, etc). 4hi has a 1:1 ratio, this means that the input from the transmission and output from the transfer case (your driveshafts) spin at the same speed. 4lo uses gear reduction to reduce the speed of the output shaft to either 2.73:1 if you have a Wrangler X, Sport, or Sahara, and 4:1 if you have a Rubicon. What this reduced speed does is multiply torque, allow increased control by being able to move slower, and the slower speed reduces the chance of tire slippage. Use 4lo when you need very precise movements or need to move very slow off road on technical trails or when crawling on some rocks or even crossing water. I can't think of a single situation besides perhaps pulling someone out of a ditch when you would need 4lo on road. Also I should mention that when shifting into 4lo you must either be still or rolling 1-3mph, disconnect power to the transfercase by placing the transmission in neutral or clutching in,then pull from 4hi through N to 4lo. This is just a quick over view but I hope it helps!
Damn good explanation! Only difference with JK's I believe you can be traveling 3-5mph when shifting in to 4 lo. No reason to though, especially if you arent experienced. If you need a little more speed in 4lo its fine to be in 2nd or 3rd gear also. On rough trails I usually run 4lo 2nd gear unless actively climbing/crawling steep hills up or down.

It should say "N" right there on the shifter at the position that neutral is.... I know mine did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts