Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the roads around me , post storm are still pretty bad. However I do come across some dry roads that turn back to wet/ snow. How long can u safely drive in 4 WD on dry pavement without screwing up the transmission? Thanks

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
So the roads around me , post storm are still pretty bad. However I do come across some dry roads that turn back to wet/ snow. How long can u safely drive in 4 WD on dry pavement without screwing up the transmission? Thanks
When you get to dry pavement switch back to 2WD. You shouldn't use 4WD unless they are completely snow covered.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I wouldn't risk staying in 4wd on dry pavement at all unless it's just a small patch here and there.
Just shift back to 2wd when on a stretch of dry pavement and back to 4wd for the snow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That's pretty much what I've been doing. I was thinking that maybe shifting too much might screw up the transmission.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Don't stay in 4H over 50. In fact, if I'm able to travel at 40 I don't need 4H. If you have dry/wet pavement then some snow you really don't need 4WD. I know it's nice to be able to use it because you have it, but the reality is over 95% of the time you don't need it and shouldn't use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts