Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new, 2015 JKU Rubicon. Yesterday, while heading up A fire road in OC, I shifted from 2h to 4H. Immediately, when I shifted, I heard a popping sound and the 4WD shifter went slack. The vehicle was in 4H, but it appears the cable snapped in the process, locking it in 4H. I tried everything I knew how to do to manually get the vehicle out of 4WD once I got back into the paved road and ultimately had to flatbed my brand new ride to the dealer to have it fixed. My question is this... Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them? I was rolling about 3mph when I shifted and the vehicle was in neutral. In reading the owners manual, it says I should be able to shift into 4H while the vehicle is in gear and going much faster than I was. The service guy at Jeep said he never sees this sort of thing. So, either I completely botched a simple shifting exercise, which I don't think I did, or I suffered a weird failure of what should be a bullet proof cable. Anyone ever have this happen? Or am I just a lucky new jeep owner?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. If you in fact broke the cable then that is the first time I've ever heard of that. You most likely broke the little plastic connector that attaches the shift linkage to the transfer case. It's a very cheap part. Many people keep a spare or 2 in their glove box in case this happens. As far as shifting into 4hi, you followed the procedure for 4 low. It's not going to hurt it but it's not necessary. You can keep it in drive and shift into 4x4 up to 55mph. I've found that moving quicker helps shift smoother

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... That's good to know. I thought I was being overly cautious with the new toy. Hopefully they will get it fixed quick. Where on the vehicle is this little part that I should get? At the transfer case or at the shifter?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Thanks... That's good to know. I thought I was being overly cautious with the new toy. Hopefully they will get it fixed quick. Where on the vehicle is this little part that I should get? At the transfer case or at the shifter?
There is one at each end of the cable. Good luck, andI keep a couple spqres in the jockey box just in case

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to pick up my Jeep tomorrow... I'll get the part number and post it here, as well as the cost. I am going to buy a few of these things I think

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Added to my shopping list!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delay.... My brand new Jeep has been in the shop all week on this issue. Hoping to get it back today and I'll post the part number and cost.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If it's just 68064273 breaking, then I don't see why a jeep would be stuck in the shop for a week. Those parts are easy to replace and it's unthinkable that dealeship didn't have them in stock.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If it's just 68064273 breaking, then I don't see why a jeep would be stuck in the shop for a week. Those parts are easy to replace and it's unthinkable that dealeship didn't have them in stock.
Agree, it's about a 10 minute job to replace the bushing on the end by the transfer case, tops. And I did it on my back on rocks and dirt. If the bushing on the end by the shifter broke, it might be a little more involved, but not much more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I got a call from the dealership this morning, Lake Elsinore Jeep, which is a pretty new dealership. They say they found a problem with the transfer case and now need to change out the whole thing. I'm going on 9 days in the shop for this. I spoke with my dealer in Huntington Beach and they said this could have been fixed in two days. Not baggin on Lake Elsinore, but the first thing I'm doing when the truck gets out of their shop is taking it to HB for a thorough check. Ridiculous... I have had the jeep two weeks and it's been in the shop for 9 days. What a bummer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts