Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm havin trouble with the 4wd shifter on ym 91 yj...... it's got 2h, 4h, n, 4L...... i'm havin trouble shifting it from one to the other, actually, i can only get it to shift in 2 different spots, and to be perfectly honest, i'm not sure if it's always in 2h and i can put it into 4h, or if its always in N and i can only go into 4L..... it's gotta 2" body lift and i think this could be the problem... any advice? any1 had this problem?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Try looking at the linkage for the transfer case. Sometimes the bolts get loose in the linkage. If you just did the body lift, and this problem just surfaced, you probably need to add an extension to your linkage, to make it work properly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
check your motor mounts, mine were bad and moved the whole engine ass. back 1/2in. It still shifted but it was very hard to. I dont have a body lift but im sure the problem would be much worse if I did have one.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
linkage gets screwed up with body lifts over 1" but did the kit not come with new linkage?...well anyway check like said and see if the linkage is still long enough with the body being farther away from the t case

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok this may be over simplified but, shift your tranny into neutral before trying to shift the transfer case into neutral or 4L. Some times the simple stuff gets overlooked. Griz

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll check the linkage to make sure, but bigjeep asked if the lift came with a linkage, and i was sayin i wasnt sure bc the jeep came with the lift on. but now that you mention it, i dont remember if i had shifted into neutral or not first. we've been gettin some good rain this week, so i'll try again this weekend

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
oooh my bad...now i see what your sayin...you don't know if it came with new linkage or not cause you didn't install it...i thought you were saying you couldn't check cause you didn't install it...i apologize

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's all good. between workin full time durin the day and college at night, i aint got too much free time, but i'll check the next time i've got some time on my hands

1 - 10 of 10 Posts