Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my jeep will not go into 4 wheel drive low it's a 94 wrangler with a 4.0 and as far as I know it ha the stock transfer case in it it will go into 4 wheel drive high quite easily but I cannot even pull my shift lever more then an inch past neutral after I push it to te side of course someone help me please!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are you shifting into neutral before trying to shift into 4 wheel low?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Are you in neutral? Are you rolling at about 2-3 MPH? Sometimes you need to be moving just a little to get the gears to mesh properly. And, of course, you need to be in neutral or they won't mesh at all.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Does your jeep have any type of body lift? If so, you will need to cut a notch in your floor board access plate that your boot cover screws into. My son's '93 YJ had the same issue. A pair of tin snips and you're back in 4lo in no time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jwann01 said:
Are you shifting into neutral before trying to shift into 4 wheel low?
Yes I was neutral I haven't tried to move at 2 to 3 mph though ill probably try that and I have a spring over lift kit not sure if that lifted the body..

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
That wouldn't have lifted the body any.

Sometimes I have trouble geting into or out of 4LO is difficult if I'm not rolling forwards a little. It's always been like that. The low range gear set isn't synchronized so moving a little lets the gears line up and slide into place easier. They suggest moving while shifting in the owner's manual for this very reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts